XS 360, Key off. Draws current when connecting battery. Headlight relay clicks.

I did buy and wire in a new regulator ($20) and rectifier ($8). I knew only that the rectifier was bad, but the regulator was old, so wanted to replace it.

If you are interested you can see how I did them here in bcware's thread about regulators and rectifiers - I posted some pics - it was a rectifier from China (SQL25A 1000V) and a car regulator I sourced locally (VR733, which cross-references to VR125, which cross references to VR295, which is what Leo has used here):

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=153023&posted=1#post153023

The new rectifier DID fix the problem with the current draw and headlight relay when connecting the battery. However, the bike still does not charge the battery.

I checked the wires from the alternator at the block connectors. My colours do not match up to what I find in the manual.

When I test across the three white wires in pairs successively, they are all of a resistance of around .7 ohms, which is within spec.

When I test the "two green, orange and grey" block (as quoted in the manual) - I do not have those colors, I have one with a blue and a green (or was it yellow? - I will check again tomorrow)... the others show no connectivity, but those two (blue and green) show a 1 ohm resistance. Which is not the 4.0 ohms for spec across the green-green. So that means, according to the manual, that the coil is faulty or a bad connection...? Anyway, I will tear into it tomorrow if I have time, but if anyone wants to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. The manual does not say much of what the problem is.

Last edited:
Back