XS400 1st Bike Build!

Ratrodsoul

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm Kevin. I'm from Carleton Place ,Ontario Canada. I Just picked up a 1981 XS400 for my 14 year old son,Kyle, for Xmas. His vision is a Bobber. I promised to match his time and money input. We are very excited, to say the least.

We have a ton of questions for you experienced builders. Hoping to meet some new friends and enjoy this father/son project.

Here is a pic of his bike:

$_20.jpg

Hello and welcome to our forum. Your project looks pretty complete. Is the kick starter shaft sheared?

Not sure what happened to the kick starter. The PO gave me a new gear ,gasket and arm...we will be installing it soon enough.
As for it being complete, that is how it was purchaced. We are modding it into a bobber. Looking for a HD Sporty tank to start, Solo seat and Bars. Trying to figure out what the largest rear/frt tires can be used is turning into a nightmare.

Where is the kicker broken? I think you have to split the bottom end depending on where it is broken.

Welcome to the forum:) A 130/90-16 is as big as you can go with these bike for the rear. Any wider and it hits the chain.

Where is the kicker broken? I think you have to split the bottom end depending on where it is broken.

No, I think you can remove the shaft with only the right side engine cover removed. The shaft doesn't go into the transmission, and is only about 4" long and is geared to the clutch.

You could be right. I definitely might have this mixed up with the cb360 I was working on last :)

Sounds like a similar build to me, check out my pics, if your exited now it gets better but keeps me up most nights thinking about my next move! Good luck and keep the pics coming

Back