XS400 Custom Re-Wire

Ogcoda

fuck off
Reaction score
So I'm doing a bike for a customer. It's a 1980 XS400 that i will be hard tailing. Fabrication is not the worry as much as this will be my first custom harness on a Yamaha. Before you all start flipping your shit, I have used the search function on you'er site! I didn't find what I needed, so I figure someone here might be able to help me.

So here is the low down... The Customer wants his bike "BARE BONES" No blinkers, No electric start, nothing. So basically I need a diagram to run the headlight, brake light, and other small 12v shit license plate L.E.D.s, speedo light ext... I received the bike as a naked frame, engine and a box witch looks like it has parts of his old harness.

If you can help I really appreciate it, if not shut up and leave the thread. I'm not going to listen to you'er stupid opinions. :) :thumbsup:

Hey there I'm a newbie to this site and just picked up an 81 that I'm planning on wiring the same way. So any help on this topic would greatly be appreciated.

Mr. Ogcoda, my best advise would be to send your customer my way.

Sorry guys this is how we conduct business on our side of the pond. It's no wonder China has most of our biz.

If your harness is still good just reuse it with a full diagram and strike off what you don't need.

Nope, Stock harness is wrecked. And to Mr. Greasy Fingers, Please if your so confident in the search function prove me wrong. I have looked and can't find anything remotely close to what i need.

Last edited:
I guess you just don't understand what I'm getting at. If it helps your understand. I wired my Entire 1978 kz1000 bobber with 8 wires. Not looking for a rewire for stock...

I think I know exactly what you mean, being as I said STRIKE OFF WHAT YOU DON'T NEED.

As I'm sure you know, all motorcycles are generally wired the same way. There are a couple things that vary, which is why you came here to post. So please listen to our advice and use a standard rewire schematic for your bike, and as greasyfingers and I both said, remove what you don't need and add anything you want.

Hey guys thanks for the links and I'm sorry for coming off strong on my first post. I'll have to get some pics of my build as I go.

As far as the love tester goes, I think that is a brilliant idea. It would surely eliminate the need for any lighting circuits. The problem that I have discovered is any "love tester" I've found is AC only. So correct me if I'm wrong but will I have to wire in a transformer directly after the stator?

Sorry again I just can't help it.

Back