XS400 Ignition Issue

Like the TCI units, they're just all getting old and breaking down.

I don't have the link handy but a few members have had very good results with a fairly cheap regulator from O'Reilly auto parts. If I recall it's a semi-generic truck regulator. Should be available where you are.
There are a couple of threads on it.

Just about any regulator from a vehicle with an excited field coil should be able to be converted to work. There's an aftermarket ducati reg that I'm planning to buy once I get my '82 going.

There are of course regulator/rectifier combo units. Some members have also used the RR38.

This isn't the one I was thinking of but it has info on the regulator. http://www.xs400.com/threads/aftermarket-regulator-wiring.7479/
(To summarize that thread: your 1980 bike would take the VR125)
(Though really either one mentioned could be made to work with some wiring modifications)

Last edited:
K thanks a lot guys. I have a new one coming from eBay in a few days, Ill keep you updated if it solved the issue.
TY

so the bike wasnt starting...I was having some petcock issues, so i pulled the carbs to clean them. took some updated pics for yal..
So the problem is that, now, not only does my charging system not work, even after I replaced my voltage regulator, but my bike totally powered off even though there are 13v in the battery....I think I may have shorted a wire as I saw significant sparks coming pfrom the positive lead on the battery when I was attempting to remove the starter relay..any ideas folks? Im sorta stuck in a fix. I measured voltage all over the bike, and its going everywhere except for the red wire that leads into the ignition. Any thoughts? Thanks all

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 193
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 185
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 213
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 176
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 184
The main fuse should be 20A and all others 10A. Using larger than stock fuses can cause damage to components or even burn stuff up.

Back