XS400 Special

Spad

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
There is a 1980 XS400 Special 400 for sale near here.This model has drum brakes fore and aft, with wire wheels. My research shows this was bottom of the line,no disc brakes or modular wheels. What is the consensus of making this a café bike? I believe the frame is the same as the other 400 series....I notice some very different wheel sizes on these 400', and wonder if the geometry is the same...Thanks,Spad:confused:

wire wheels are actually nicer looking than the cast rims I think. And I think most of the cafe racer scene agrees with me.

As for the disc brakes, yea those won't be great. Most XS400 models have at least a disc at the front. But they will stop you, eventually :)

the bike may have been the bottom of the line back then, but I don't think it is now. Depending on the state of it of course ;)

I agree with Willem - wire wheels are nicer...But I don't like the rear 16" wheel on a café. It should be at least 18":D imho

they are bigger ;)

bigger wheels -> less clearance at your rear fender -> look cooler -> get more chicks

Guess you could get them on ebay or something?

You could always go with a bigger/thicker tire, I see lots of tracker style bike with thicker tires and think that gives its very cool look. I think it would also give a squishier ride...

Not chasing chicks anymore, have a permanent one who rides on the back of my other bike.. Interested in handling, so have to do more research. Thanks for the thoughts, Spad

Back