Xs400 vs 1100?

member11511

XS400 Member
Reaction score
was curious if anyone could offer up some comparisons between the xs1100 and the xs 400.

I'm thinking of moving up to an xs1100 at the end of the season. But I've heard there are a real pain compared to the xs400. I've heard they are terrible in turns, lean like shit and brakes are bad.

Anyone care to chime in?

they are a really heavy bike and as such will be diffcult on corners. Front brakes are basically 2 xs400 brakes so take your summation from that.
I'd have both as the 400 fills a niche where the 1100 wont compete.

First off wow! I finally got to meet the world famous drewpy ! The patriarch Saint of this bike. Haha and yes I'm being serious! I've learned so much about my bike from you. Thanks for all your posts.

Everyone keeps telling me the xs400 is too small for touring 3-4 hour days. And suggested I go larger.

But to be honest the xs1100 scares me a little. It seems like a bad combination of issues. Would you agree drew? Or do you get a lot of joy out of the 1100?

LOL! 3 to 4 hours in a day is too much for an XS400? I don't think so. 4 days of riding 8+ hrs each day wasn't too much for me or my bike last summer. I regularly do 3 to 4 hours riding in a day.

Just ask your riding buddies to keep to the speed limit and you will catch up if need be.

I ride at least 3 hours on the tracker. But that's' on UK twisty roads not US type freeways

the bigger bikes are for long distance rides where the engine will be less stressed and have lower revs which reduces driver fatigue.

What it boils down to is personal preference. Can you try before you buy?

Thanks for the props :)

If the plan is "touring" on an interstate, then I'd respectfully suggest purchasing a bus ticket. One will be more comfortable and see much more of the world as it passes by, while someone else has the challenge of trying to stay awake at the wheel.

If secondary roads are the plan, as they should be when touring, then the 400 is fine, even when carrying 6 days of camp gear and clothing. There are so many reasons to ride the back roads in North America. Scenic roads, small towns with some history (a century or so anyways), local restaurants that serve real food, locals who want to chat with the visitors. All that is missed when "pounding the slab".

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I don't plan on taking the xs400 on the freeway. I read about another user who got in a bad accident. Where actually from the same state and I know the freeway he got injured on.

So I plan to avoid the 80 mile an hour minimum speeds. I actually just got an orginal King queen seat for my bike. I plan on strapping everything I need to queen portion.

Here's my next question, how would you recomend tying stuff to it? I'm squeezing everything into a single large duffle. Would you recomend the bag stay vertical or horizontal across the seat.

There are bags from Giant Loop or something similar. They sit on the seat and drop down to the passenger pegs. They have a good reputation. Waterproof, stable on the bike, etc.

I'm new here but could not resist this thread. Comparing a xs1100 to a 400 is apples to oranges. I have both and a xj650 to boot. All are 81 model years and all 3 are great machines in their own right. The 400 is the best bombing around town machine out there. Would I spend more than an hour on it trying to go somewhere say at interstate speeds? Not likely with the bigger bikes I get more power to get out of trouble with (or into depending on my frame of mind) more stability and a better ride. The 1100 is a big heavy very powerful machine. It's not for beginners and not to be taken lightly. That being said its more fun than you should be allowed to have. When in proper tune it can out accelerate your ability to stop or turn if you are not use to it. I've had mine at the dragon in NC a couple of times and it will go thru those roads very nicely As a cruiser it is hands down my favorite Also once you get one were it should be machically it is one of the most reliable machines built but than most yamahas are. I would jump on mine and head off long distance right now with no second thoughts. If you have the opportunity go ride one. For running with a pack of liter bikes it is a good choice. Check out XS11.com for more info.

Back