1976 XS360

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
OK, So I usually dont start a thread like this until I am about finished and can upload everything at once instead of bits and pieces and months in between. Ive been in and out of a few threads here and I thought I would share some more my own progress.

Backstory: A buddy of mine and I were tossing the idea of getting some motorcycles to ride around with for fun. We are both "car guys" so we were always talking about our cars and bikes and what are plans/ideas were. I wanted something cheaper, simpler, and something that was a bit of a fixer upper so I can get it at a good deal. Its amazing what some people will sell as "junk" when all it may need is coils.

I came across a pretty clean 76 XS360C on CL a young guy was selling. It was 99% complete and the engine was stuck.. I rolled the dice and bought it. The main thing that drew me to the bike was the gas tank. It was so nice and clean I needed to have it.

Well, I could not get the engine to free up no matter what I tried. I soaked the cylinders in a whole mix of solvents to get no results. I couldn't tell if the bike was just stored for 25 years with no spark plugs or it was seized.

I went in head first and started taking things apart..
As you can see, I could not get the pistons out of the jug, I had to break the cam chain to seperate the engine

This is about when I started getting ideas! Notice the drummer seat I used..

Fast forward 1 whole year and 2 apartments later and I have this. I had to buy a used jug and have it bored and honed. NOS 1st oversize pistons and rings, new wrist pins and gaskets, new conrod bolts, new cam chain. Also had to buy a used oil filter housing and headers..

OH YEA!

rough,

Quick video, very proud moment lol to hear it start after looking at this thing for so long in boxes and pieces

Well thats about it for now, Im just gathering parts over the winter and plan to have it ready to ride by next spring... So I may not have any real updates for a while lol. But I will be sticking around here for now since this site has been so helpful and still have a long way to go. Thanks for looking!

Oh, I will say that the gas tank will be untouched and left as it is.. I love the coloring and styling of it. It has that 70s flare I love. I will also try to stay as close to the time period in the build as I can. Nothing fancy, just a minimal simple ride.

Nice work!
I totally agree with your sentiments about the gas tank, I wish my bike had that style of tank!

Thanks for the kind words guys! I forgot to mention the I also bought new con rod bearings for the rebuild.. I used the stock size. The bike only had about 4000 miles on it at the time of rebuild and everything fit nicely back together. Bike is also serial numbered in the low 300s.

RIght now I have an almost complete list of parts I need. Im tackling one section at a time.

Im finishing up on some small engine stuff like O-rings... I ordered the wrong seals last week but Im stocking up on extra parts. I have one set of original stock size piston rings that I will not be using ever and would consider letting them go.

Next Im going to get the front brake sorted out and then suspension. The only things about this bike that Im leaving to the professionals is the bore/hone which already happened and some welding that is to come. I have some major limitations such as having a clean and well-lit work space and more fabrication tools, as well as funding. But this ensures that the bike will be 100% me and everything will be well-thought of instead of some of the miracle 2 week turnarounds I see. It wont be all new and shiny. The only modern things on the bike will be the rubber compound of the tires and the battery.

Whats going on guys? Just thought Id put an update in on my bike. After I posted the video in an above post, I tore the bike back down to the frame and put it away for the Winter. My apartment is very limited in work space so it was in the attic all season.. I was able to do some work and get some other things ready. I painted some parts and ordered some more. The progress seems so slow with ordering parts and how much time and money Ive put into it so far.. But, Im at one last stumbling block before I can start putting it back together for final assembly! All I need to do is have the frame welded and then I will be able to paint the frame and it will start looking like a bike.

Another stumbling block is the front forks, I cant seem to find decent ones on EBay so I may end up buying brand new inner tubes.. I dont want to get seals for them and top off the fluid when its just going to leak out and ruin the seal.

I still have some parts to order such as, tires, turn signals, another set of clip ons, a seat, mufflers, brake stuff, and some electrical stuff. After I get the frame welded, It will be good enough to lean on its kickstand atleast. Heres some pics, I also got a hold of a decent work space to so Im pretty happy about that.

This was during Winter when I was still working in the attic. Here you might be able to see that the clip-on handlebars that I have didnt have enough clearance for the gas tank. So I found a set of Tarozzi clip ons that would be perfect..

Hey guys I bring to you an update on my 360.
Right on to the pics,

This was 2-3 weeks ago
image2_zpspgunhocn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then I stripped the frame down and decided to dig out my little Lincoln Welder 120v and weld the hoop on myself. It worked pretty good.

I couldnt wait to get a mock-up going, especially since I bought another set of forks, so I had a set of springs to make test cuts to get the front end where I want it before I replace all the gaskets and fill the tubes up.

Overhead shot

So at this point, I am ready to do some final assembly. All I need is new tires, battery, front brake stuff, and to make the seat/pan.

My bike will not be perfect, it wont be clean. It wont be a photo shoot dream. This is my first bike build and I can guarantee it will be riden. I dont have a shop with all the right tools and buckets of cash to throw at it. This build is really limited to the set of tools I am working with and Im not mad about it. Ive put a ton of time in it so far and I will enjoy it when its done. This is not a build-N-flip bike. This is staying with me.

Back