1980 Yamaha xs400SG New front tire will not hold air Pressure

jlearning1

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have just purchase a new front Tire for my 1980 Yamaha 400SG. Everytime I put air in it and go away and comeback for a few minutes, the tire is flat again. I have taken the tire off the rim, and cleaned the rim real good, and same problem occurs. It is a tubeless tire 3.00x18 100/90/18. It is brand new. I noticed by the valve stem the tire is skinny, and around the rest of the tire it is a little fat. Any suggestions

The bead probably is not seating or the valve stem leaks. Next time before you fill the tire put some diluted dishwater soap around both sides of the rim to lube it, I usually use a spray bottle, and then put as much air in as quickly as possible. When the tire seats it almost always a popping sound. If the tires not seating there'll be noticeable continual bubbling where the air is escaping from the rim. Some people put a ratchet tie down around the circumference of the tire to help.

Is your wheel marked "tubeless"? Even if it is an alloy, if it is not marked "tubeless",you need a tube, regardless of the tire.

From 1980 the cast rims were marked "Suitable for tubeless tires". Since you do have such a rim, I would agree with hmusket that you may have a problem with improper bead set.

Hello everyone. I have just purchase a new front Tire for my 1980 Yamaha 400SG. Everytime I put air in it and go away and comeback for a few minutes, the tire is flat again. I have taken the tire off the rim, and cleaned the rim real good, and same problem occurs. It is a tubeless tire 3.00x18 100/90/18. It is brand new. I noticed by the valve stem the tire is skinny, and around the rest of the tire it is a little fat. Any suggestions
Did you clean the rim well before mounting the tire? Sometimes a bit of corrosion on the rim will make it seep air,and you should check with soapy water for leaks. lha

Yes I did a real good cleaning og the wheel. I used steel brushes and some more items. Im pretty sure my wheel is cleaned
Thanks

Hello Everone

Yes I have a leak on my tire bead right by the valve stem. Is there anything I can do to stop this leak, or can I put an innertube in this tire. It is about 3 small leaks on the rim/bead. Can I used some of that tire stop leak stuff, or do you not recommend that stuff in motorcycle tires, epecially front tires. I have just taken the tire off from the rim and cleaned again, and then remounted the tire and I have the same problem. Notice 3/4 of my tire is fat, and about a 1/4 of my tire around the valve stem area is skinny. Any reason why?

Thanks

Last edited:
This is a 1980 Yamaha xs400SG VIN starting with 3F9. It actually says Suitable for tubeless tires on the side of the rim. Does this mean I have an option to run tubeless tires if I choose to. Mine is leaking from the bead and I want to put an innertube in it. That should be okay would you say.

Thanks

What air pressure are you using to seat the tire? Less than 40lbs? Also your compressor may not be capable of moving enough air to seat the bead. You might be able to take the wheel and tire to a tire shop to seat the bead, and maybe they won't charge you too much for the air. After all, you've done all the hard work.

The bead is actually seating around the wheel. The tire will actually air up and hold air pressure, its just after about 30 minutes the air will have seeped out from around the bead and the will be flat again.

Thanks

Husklet you may be right. I went to the Yamaha dealer today and asked about it(the tire) and I was told to keep putting air into the tire until I hear 2 pops. This method should seat the tire I was told. I had about 50lbs of air in the tire. How much air will front tires hold before a major disaster? Should I keep adding air until I hear a pop of the tire bead or is this method dangerous? How much air can a tire take? 60/70/80/90/100psi before the tire blow off the rim?

Thanks

Back