1981 XS400 Special II Stator Question

esmith87

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm brand spankin new to the XS400.com forum so bare with me. I live in North Eastern Indiana and own a 1981 XS400 that I am doing an 99.9% restoration on. The other .1% is the fact that I am not going to use the grandpa bars that came stock on the bike. Ok, on to my question. I was wondering if anyone knows if the stator rings from the 77-79 400's will work on the 80-82 models. Reason I'm asking is because my 1981 stator is in bad shape and I have 2 77-79 stators that are new. I read somewhere awhile back that they are interchangable, but I can't find the website that I read it on. Any help would be awesome!! Thanks

I know what your asking, I am sure I have seen the answer, I believe its Nope, don't do it. There is just enough differences between sister series numbers, that the sister bike wont cut it. I believe the answer is that there was a huge change between the two bikes. Electronic ignition. Beyond that the stator is probable fine. our bikes generally have the same problem. The wires are shot. So the first thing I would do prior to jumping to my conclusion. download the manual. I have posted the wire diagram for our bike, somewhere on this web site is the Manuals, A Tech section, with some step by steps on the "Rewire" program. Read the manual, do the checks, and run with it. Ask questions, (take 5 minutes before asking a question to see if someone has asked it already) Comment on anything you find that is close, but misses the mark. Believe it or not there is a 4 step program.
1. Clean the Carbs
2. Clean the Carbs
3. Clean the Carbs again
4, last cleaning is the best cleaning.

Oops that not it, 1, Clean the carbs, 2, put a inline filter on the fuel line.3, If charging issues presume then follow the tech manual, and ensure the Voltage regulator is good, as well the rectifier. Look under the drive sprocket for the shot wires. if the wires are stiff, and seem to be brittle, then its shot. some excellent photos on here of shot wires.

Good luck, (by the way if you find out there is only one wire shot, just replace all 5 of them.) Someone I was helping just did the pair of bad wires, and when they were done, the field coil was not working. Since I was shopping at Menards, I just got the appropriate colored wires, and planned on replacing all of them.

The 80-82 sohc xs400 stator has an extra wire for the electronic ignition.

The 80-82 sohc xs400 stator has an extra wire for the electronic ignition.

Are you 100% about that, because both of the 77-79 stators I have that are new in box have 4 white fabric covered wires, where as the one I pulled from my 81 motor (stamped
4R5-008242) has only 3 white wires. The 2 different part numbers are identical except for the extra wire. Unless I somehow bought a bike with the wrong stator installed, and then purchased 2 wrong stators that are new in box. I'm sorta confused now.

Your right:thumbsup: Its been a while since I have looked and the two. The 77-79 has the extra wire not the 80-82:) It must be because of the points-condenser deal.

One of the 4 wires is actually yellow and it feeds a relay on those models which I believe turns on the headlight while running.

One of the 4 wires is actually yellow and it feeds a relay on those models which I believe turns on the headlight while running.

So as long as i only have 3 connection points in the clip on the main harness then I should be safe to run the stator with 4 terminals because 1 will just be a dead end? I think that is what I remember seeing awhile back but I'm trying not to damage the electrical.

Yes. Here are pics of both, all are white wires. On the 77-79 one does look a little more yellow but is hard to tell.

Attachments

• DSC01790.jpg
    DSC01790.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC01791.jpg
    DSC01791.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 328
Ok sounds good enough to me! Been a member for less than 24 hours and can tell already that this is gonna be a kickass site. Thanks to everyone for your two cents so quickly. Hopefully i can start snapping pics and getting them posted from how it sits right now at the beginning of the restore and through out the project.

Back