1983 250SE Tracker project

MikeSE

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Newbie from the UK, bought myself a 250se taxed and mot'd and running (to some degree Can't wait to get the thing freshly painted and on the road hopefully running like a dream. A little bit about me build tyres for a living, previous bikes being yq50 aerox when I was 16, then fzr400 jap import then scared myself half to death on my 600 zx6 :)

So plan for the 250 is turn it into street/flat tracker. I plan on getting tail piece and bars from redmaxspeedshop. Hope fully get the frame powder coated depending on price or it may get sprayed. Colour scheme I'm pretty set on gloss grey and black.

So problems encountered so far. Brakes light not working just needed the plunger adjusted however it's nearly at the end of its threads. Speedo clock bulbs gone so got them taken apart. Rev counter needle is erratic tried oiling the cable but it's no better think i'll get one ordered. Oil leaking from clutch pushrod. I'm going to look at rebuilding carbs as the inlet rubbers are very perished and I dread to think what's lurking within them. Got myself some filter pods ordered and new crank case breather. Plus usual service items!

I don't suppose any one knows if xs 500 top yokes will fit because the handle bars are on rubber bushes (dislike) ready for my flat bars to go on.

And the worst pipes I think I've seen

I'm a huge proponent of DIY, but that 2 into 1 exhaust is the worst idea ever! What was the original owner thinking?

classified-xv920-xl.jpg

In fairness to the PO, Classified Moto did a similar thing on one of their bikes, so I guess internet fame is no guard against bad engineering. Welcome to the forum! Love your FZR, I want one of my own.

The Classified moto exhaust doesn't look half as bad as this one. AFAIK the one you posted has an extra muffler that probably won't get much flow, but PO's bike has 2 90* bends in his headers haha

Cheers for your warm welcome! picked up a few service parts in the last week push rod seal oil filter etc. Removed the carbs ready for new inlet rubbers and going to rejet with 135's in the next couple of weeks im just going to focus on getting them polished up and rebuilt.

So my first dilemma is the push rod oil seal received it today and it has no metal backing like the original, is this due to the fact its a pattern part? the centre bore is the correct size the rods nice and snug with no movement.

Secondly there is a ball bearing between the clutch worm and rod and not between the internal and external push rod. In the bikes previous life it looks to have had the seal replaced so could the bearing of went missing then? 7/16" am I right in thinking? I did notice that when I rode the bike the clutch was very far out before it "bit".

any help appreciated cheers :wink2:

cleaned my oil mesh cover aswel with new bolts and new filler plug

got my breather to fit aswel

and that vtwin exhaust is tasty!

get the "real" yamaha seal with the steel backing, its there for a reason.

three's 2 ball bearings, one trapped in the worm drive and the other clutch side.

you need to adjust at the engine first before the lever. cables stretch too

Back