1984 XS400 first bike/project

Cliffy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have finally gotten around to starting a build thread on my bike. Earlier in September I went and picked up a bike with my good friend Matt (SpecialK) and have been working on it in my free time. I picked it up for $1200 and the guy had already done work on it, such as getting rid of the fenders, making his own seat, adding on different handlebars, and also, to my horror, using electrical tape in ways that I hope to never see again. Below are pictures of my bike and my friends most recent pick up (GS650) in the truck, as well as what the bike looked like when I picked it up (don't mind the filters, it was for Instagram). If you are curious to see more recent pictures you can search #DCXS400 on instagram or also follow me @danielclifford. I hope to post many photos of my build along the way and when I finally get it in a set location I'd love to start a time lapse.

Cheers

Attachments

• image_7_.jpg
    image_7_.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 422
  • image_12_.jpg
    image_12_.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
While I still have some time tonight I managed to find some photos of my bike on the first night I put some work in on it, they are below. This first night of work here included taking off the gas tank, removing the homemade seat, taking off the exhaust, and also removing the turn signals. I will soon be uploading more recent photos and photos along the way of working on the build.

Cheers

Attachments

• image_8_.jpg
    image_8_.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 340
  • image_11_.jpg
    image_11_.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 398
Thank you! Yes the bike runs very well, or at least it did till I pulled the engine! I only took it for a couple laps of my property before I started to take it apart, didn't want to get myself into too much trouble due to not insuring it for the road and no license yet!

After a lot of work I was able to drop the engine about a week ago, with help from my brother. Everything went well and was straight forward up until the chain, which was where the only difficulty came. After lots of greasy fingers and fiddling around I finally got the master link off and put my engine to rest on my motorcycle stand. This was as it sits two weeks ago up until this weekend, with photos of this weekend coming up soon.

Attachments

• photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 365
Here are finally some up to date photos from this weekend! The weather cooperated with me so I could work on the bike outside and get some paint done! As you can see now it is down to just the frame and bars, I took off the forks, took off the front tire, and also took off the rear swingarm. I am currently painting the forks as well as the hangers for my mufflers (Emgo shorty). I will hope to paint the swingarm this week and post photos of all the finished parts soon! For now this is how she sits.

Attachments

• image_13_.jpg
    image_13_.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 369
  • image_14_.jpg
    image_14_.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 377
  • image_15_.jpg
    image_15_.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 393
  • image_16_.jpg
    image_16_.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 343
Who needs a work truck when you can strap your frame to a bike rack on your '98 Honda Civic? Took my frame to school to do some welding today, photos will be up later!

Attachments

• image_1_.jpg
    image_1_.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 382
The progress today was good, got my bike into the welding shop at school and managed to take off some tabs that won't be needed to clean up the frame, design my own grab bar for the back, and get it all set up to weld for tomorrow. I still have the weld of the bar and to reshape it as well as a bit of dye grinding to do on some of the sharp edges left by the guy before me. Here are some photos!

Attachments

• image_21_.jpg
    image_21_.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 373
  • image_20_.jpg
    image_20_.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 372
  • image_22_.jpg
    image_22_.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 342
  • image_23_.jpg
    image_23_.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 324
  • image_24_.jpg
    image_24_.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 331
Finally finished up welding my grab bar at school the other day, all went well thankfully, it was nice to get back into a bit of TIG welding, some photos of the set up where I welded it! Planning on getting it into my unfinished basement soon enough so I have a spot to work on it all winter.

Attachments

• image_25_.jpg
    image_25_.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 330
  • image_26_.jpg
    image_26_.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 381
Finally got going on my bike in the basement, set up my GoPro as well to get a bit of a timelapse going. Couldn't be happier to have a warm place to work on this.

Attachments

• XS400 timelapse 006.jpg
    XS400 timelapse 006.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 342
Been a while since I posted, crazy with school work but have cleaned up the engine a bit and am currently buying parts, waiting on paint, and getting a skateboard deck together to start fabricating the seat, thanks again for viewing and any input is recommended!

Back