6 Volt Bulb???

I'd have to buy an entire lamp, because it's glass sealed. I want to keep the amber color, it's the reason I bought the light. I've found replacement amber lamps for cheap, but they are all 6 volt...

By "bulb",I was meaning sealed beam bulb,which are readily available,at least where I live.They[at O'Reilly's] had amber colors as well. lha

what is the diameter of the lamp? a 3 1/2 would be a par35 then search for that size in correct voltage/color, all those "voltage reducers" are is a big a## high wattage resister if looks are more important than function I find that sad

Well shoot then! I thought maybe you had used the one that you linked. lol I guess I will try to grab the tractor one above. I sent the seller a question asking the amp draw, so I will wait to hear back from him, then I will see what you think Drewps.....since you're a knowitall kinda guy! haha JK

The "reducer" shown for tractor use is a ceramic resistor[I know as I have a 1941 9n Ford].That is for use where the starter /charging circuit is converted to 12v,and the owner wants to keep the 6v ignition,guages,etc.It is a holder for a ceramic resistor. lha:bike:

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd run a 6 volt tail light to go with the 6 volt headlight and run them as a series circuit. 12 volts run in series with 2 bulbs results in 6v across each bulb. No extra gee gaws.

what is the diameter of the lamp? a 3 1/2 would be a par35 then search for that size in correct voltage/color, all those "voltage reducers" are is a big a## high wattage resister if looks are more important than function I find that sad
Looks always play a factor, but function beats looks every time. If I run the light and can't see a damn thing while riding at night, then it will be changed pretty quickly. I just have a problem with running the same ole' stuff as everybody else, so I figured the vintage amber light would fit into my plans.

If it were me, I'd run a 6 volt tail light to go with the 6 volt headlight and run them as a series circuit. 12 volts run in series with 2 bulbs results in 6v across each bulb. No extra gee gaws.
It just so happens that the taillight I plan to use is 6 volts as well....so that seems like the perfect plan!

That true...it's a chance I'd take with a tail light or other accessory light, but not a brake light or turn signals.

I dont see where that size light would ever be good enough for a head light in the first place. However do a search for ford 8N, 9N tractor parts. Those tractors had almost the same lights on the front sides of the grille. They were the only lights they had and mostly amber. The above mentioned tractor parts sites probably have them in 12 v as many of these tractors have been conveted to 12 v alternators .

I dont see where that size light would ever be good enough for a head light in the first place. However do a search for ford 8N, 9N tractor parts. Those tractors had almost the same lights on the front sides of the grille. They were the only lights they had and mostly amber. The above mentioned tractor parts sites probably have them in 12 v as many of these tractors have been conveted to 12 v alternators .
The lights on 8n,2n,9n ford tractors,like the '41 9n in my shed have 6v tracto-lite lights with plug-in bulbs that mount on the hood,not on the grille.Wagner makes a sealed beam unit in 12v and 6v,available at O'reilleys.The tractor site may have replacements for 5-3/4" and 7" 12v.The bulbs on these tractors were not amber,but clear,unless somebody replaced the originals with amber ones. lha

I have had my 41 9N for 25 yrs and its 100% orig , my neighbors have 3 9ns and all have amber lights .

You can put any color lights you want on a car,tractor,or motorcycle,but that doesn't mean that it came from the factory that way.I've had several tractors,now have a '41 9n all original,with original tract-o-lites with clear lights.I've gone to many tractor shows with hundreds of tractors,and never seen amber lights.Ford tractors didn't even come equipped with lights,but were installed by dealers.Mine also has a rear light on the right rear fender,also clear.These lights were put on tractors so farmers in '39-'52 [9n-2n-8n]could work at night,or at least drive home from the fields at night.An amber light would not illuminate the road or field as well as a clear one.Go out at night with an amber light and a clear one and see which is brighter. lha

I just cant believe that on my short road there we have the only 3 ford ns in the country with amber lights. You mentioned some dealers installed them .Their illumination is worthless . I dont get why would anyone ever put them on to begin with .

I just cant believe that on my short road there we have the only 3 ford ns in the country with amber lights. You mentioned some dealers installed them .Their illumination is worthless . I dont get why would anyone ever put them on to begin with .
I am not going to argue about this on a motorcycle site,go to ytmag.com,register,and ask the gurus about the lights.You'll see me on there as a "tractor expert"as I've had one for a while,and have researched them pretty well,and have totally restored mine. lha

Back