82' XS400 Maxim build

delongj

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been lurking for a while and decided it's time to start a build thread.
I got an 82' Maxim from a friend who didn't have time to fix it up. I've got plenty of time at the moment so I've been finishing what he started.

Here's how it came. Overall, it's in pretty good shape, needs some TLC though.
e0kbrn.jpg

6o0h6x.jpg

First step was to do something with the exhaust. It came with homemade straight pipes with parts you could get from the local auto parts store and welded horribly. It also had one stock header with muffler. So I decided to make my own 2-1.
11bomjb.jpg

And got an EMGO Reverse-Cone to go behind it
2vhvgon.jpg

zn3fns.jpg

Decided since I am going to have to rejet anyways I might as well throw on some pods
1zgar01.jpg

So here's how she sits. Waiting for the jets to come in from MikesXS. Already cleaned the carbs twice so I figure once the jets are in I have 5 or 6 more times to clean it them before it runs then 5 or 6 times putting different jets in before it runs well.

Once it's running I'll pull it all apart and send it over my friend to paint. At the moment I'm thinking a high gloss camelion black

What do you guys think?

Nice bike! The 82 Maxim 400 was my first bike. I loved that thing. Tried to find one just like it but instead found my 82 XS400. Good luck with it, I like the 2 into 1 you made.

Nice bike! The 82 Maxim 400 was my first bike. I loved that thing. Tried to find one just like it but instead found my 82 XS400. Good luck with it, I like the 2 into 1 you made.

Thanks Bill! I can't wait to have some nice weather to be able to take it out. :bike:
The 2-1 was an all the day project. Tacked it with a MIG then took it over to a friend's to use a TIG on it. I'm real happy with how it turned out.

I'd really like to go to clip one but being a poor college student I'm cheap. Anyone know where I could pick up a set for relatively cheap?

Clip on bars? I ordered some on eBay for around $50. They look fine, just waiting for warmer weather to take the bike out of storage and put them on.

If you keep the stock tank you'll probably have to make adjustments to the turn stops so the bars don't hit the tank.

Thanks jaredk! I do plan on swapping the tank at some point. Not the top priority at the moment though.

I got it running yesterday! Idles great but then dies when given any gas. So I'll be cleaning the carbs yet again over the weekend.

So cleaned the carbs another 3 or 4 times. Still no luck. Turned the petcock to prime and poof runs like a champ! Looks like I have a petcock rebuild in my future but at least now I can ride it! What a fun bike! Love it

Hey, keep us posted on your progress I've got that exact bike and I am making it into a cafe racer. It'd be nice to have a partner on the journey.

Hey, keep us posted on your progress I've got that exact bike and I am making it into a cafe racer. It'd be nice to have a partner on the journey.

That's great! I'd love to cafe but first up was just getting ut running. I have read these bikes (maxims and secas) are harder to cafe because of the bend of the frame and the monoshock. But it can still be done.

Went out the other day with a thought on the petcock issue I've been having. Replaced the vacuum line and it works perfect. Come to find out the old line had a small crack in the backside :doh:
Oh well...at least its working now!

Back