*Almost* Complete List of XS400 Fasteners

allanrps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
First off, hi. This is my first post on the forums. I'm a kid living in Pittsburgh, and I just got my XS400 about a month ago. I'll post a proper introduction some time in the near future.

Anyway, I've spent the last couple days pulling off and measuring every nut and bolt I could get my hands on that wasn't holding together the engine and sourcing them all online in stainless steel. I have not ordered the set, and do not plan on dumping $200 on fasteners anytime soon, but I'm pretty sure its quite accurate, and I wont be double checking if I ever do order it. That being said, I guarantee there is at least one error of quantity. There are some things not included. A couple things that come to mind are the exhaust header studs, which have been substituted by one 1M fully threaded rod, which will need cut. Where the exact sizes could not be ordered or were obscenely expensive, I generally chose the next largest size, usually just 1mm difference. Some dremel work may be required. Most flange bolts have been substituted by a hex bolt and washer because of stock availabilities. Some non-essential bolts that come partially threaded stock were ordered as fully threaded to cut down on costs. Circlips are not included, and some cotter pins may be missing. The lower triple tree bolts are also not yet included. Blah, blah, blah, here's the link:

XS400 Stainless Fastener Set: https://www.fastenal.com/web/shopping-cart/sharedShoppingCart/2C5AF432E622A28CC765C99019169621

Oh, and if someone has done this already, just don't even tell me.

Last edited:
I had to think about the carb screws some and then forgot to add them to the order. Added 16 M6 x 12mm and 4 M6 x 14mm, and I've got to measure the things holding the choke rod and the screws for the idle gap adjuster. Oh, I also haven't measured the lower triple tree bolts, so those aren't in the order either. Once I add those, the circlips and cotter pins, and maybe the axle castle nuts, I'll update the link again.

Last edited:
I had to think about the carb screws some and then forgot to add them to the order. Added 16 M6 x 12mm and 4 M6 x 14mm, and I've got to measure the things holding the choke rod and the screws for the idle gap adjuster. Oh, I also haven't measured the lower triple tree bolts, so those aren't in the order either. Once I add those, the circlips and cotter pins, and maybe the axle castle nuts, I'll update the link again.

Are you sure about the m6 bolt for the carbs? My bikes (sohc xs400) use m5 for the caps and bowls and m6 for the bottom bracket.

Ah! thanks Drewpy, you're right. When I took the carbs to an advrider forum member to work with them, he gave me cap and bowl bolts, so I didn't actually measure those... That should be an isolated incident, everything else I put a caliper to.

damn... not a good start haha. real sorry 'bout that. you're awesome too.

I changed all the non-load bearing screws to A2 button heads and fixed the carb bolts. Now I'm going to add the cotter pins and order a set of screws. I'll update the link with the new info

haha, Don't worry about it, I think most of us have been called something worse sometime or other.

Welcome to the group.
Shoot, I just ordered my stainless steelbolts from Ebay a month ago, for 20 buck, I think.

YAMAHA XS250 XS360 XS400 POLISHED STAINLESS BOLT KIT $35.

arfstrom, was that a kit for the whole bike or just the engine casing? My bike had allen bolts in the engine when I got it, and I planned on just leaving those steel. This list is everything but the engine casing bolts. If I could just get that for 20 bucks on ebay... :eek:

The original post was updated btw. Button head screws, carb bolts, cotter pins... I went and ordered a set of all the screws and related material, along with a couple necessary nuts and bolts, so when those come in I will be able to verify the accuracy of that part of the order.

Good work. Also, I love the lack of a linking verb when you talk about the threaded rod. Reminds me of home.(I grew up in central PA) My wife has the nerve to tell me I'm wrong when I say the car needs washed. :D And when I tell her the room needs redd up, she just looks at me funny. :laugh:

I dont' know, its a lot, and I am assuming it will be for all the exterior locations. If I can get two of my homework assignments done, I might crack that box, and start putting my bike back together.

Attachments

• xs400_ebay_bolts.JPG
    xs400_ebay_bolts.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 385
Rob, I didn't know that was PA speak! I moved here when I was 6, guess I never recognized the difference. I'd actually never heard of 'redd up'. Just googled it and apparently it has danish/norwegian roots. Pretty cool, I like stuff like that.

arfstrom, I'm not sure, but what made me think it was a set of engine casing bolts was that it doesn't seem to include any nuts or locks, which I had a good amount of. Also, the cart I put together has got a whole lot more than 90 pieces. Hope that kits got what you need though! :thumbsup:

Forgot the cotter pins for the seat! Hopefully I can add those to the order I put in yesterday... After that, I'm pretty sure everything is either included or accounted for. I'll add the lower triple tree bolts when I go through my forks, and I'll add the needle circlips when I need to rejet, and the rear brake cylinder circlip. I wont be popping the sprocket off just to measure that circlip, that things a pain.

I will be starting my building up anytime now, I just got the bolts for the looks. The old bolts are fine. Flat black, with shiny bolts heads!

I will be starting my building up anytime now, I just got the bolts for the looks. The old bolts are fine. Flat black, with shiny bolts heads!
Let us know how the Ebay bolts work out.
Did you opt for the extra "show" polishing service from that ebay seller?

This set looks like it might be "show" polished automatically but lists only 83 pieces vs yours at 90: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371049422230

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZHJBwE7yt-GuPiBPHDs3)D7w~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqZHJBwE7yt-GuPiBPHDs3)D7w~~60_12.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 370
I don't know for sure, I got the Orange background. that one you listed isn't the same for the XS400, so its hard to visually tell, I didn't see the word show polished on either ebay add? I am hoping that they will stay shiney for a little bit. If I need too, I know where to get the mothers, or neverdull.

No problemo. I was planning on picking up a full set myself, then after I hit $100 dollars I figured I might as well just finished what I started. Can't justify dropping half the value of the bike for some fasteners though... After my order comes in, I'll post another link for just replacing all the screws and related equipment. That would probably be of more use to most owners. Could be a while though, some items ordered weren't in stock.

Back