another headlight/electrical problem

Jimbo31

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so, my headlight wont turn on, I've made sure the controls are well grounded, but there is no power to the wires so I'm thinking there is something wrong with the relay but I don't know how to specifically check that. I also heard there was a diode within the harness I have not checked that.

Also, my signals dont work properly anymore, they either stay on or stay off and then when signal switch is used the ones that were off turn on but stay on. The ones that are already on just stay the same way. (basically no flashing but power)

My flasher is a square where usually I heard they were circular? the brand is NIPPONDENSO I dunno if its aftermarket or not but either way I wanted an LED flasher.

My bike is a 1981 xs400 special
any ideas?

Another feature is that I just installed an acewell speedo maybe a led relay is all I need to fix all my problems?

update: The relay is working and is fine, everything is now connected but the hibeam light is on all the time and the headlight still wont turn on when I start the bike. I have an LED relay on order so maybe that will help?

so LED flasher is stock, have one on order, but I still have no power to my headlight when I turn it over or start it any ideas? I'm running out of ideas...

All I can suggest is to grab the wiring diagram for your bike and follow the power from the battery to the headlight. Check every component along the way, like the ignition switch, fuse, hi/lo switch, and all the connections. Also, don't rule out a bad bulb!

It also sounds like you didn't connect the wiring to your new speedo correctly. You will want to go over it all again and forget what you think is correct. It is either correct or it isn't. What you've done obviously isn't... :(

but all of my led's on the speedo are correctly lit (oil, neutral, speedo, tach, signals) everything lights up as they should all the time except the high beam light which stays on all the time for some reason.

All the wiring diagrams have three wires from the headlight split into 4 but two of the 4 are yellows and on my headlight I have a blue one and a yellow splitting. No idea where the blue one goes.

I also heard something about a safety relay and I dont like I have one of those...
1981 xs400 special..

Back