another XS 400 Bratstyle build

MitchMotors

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm Michael from Germany and I bought a '79 XS 400 last year as my first motorcycle and immediately startet ripping it apart to build a Bratstyle/chopper/bobber/whatever.
I'm gonna use windowed handle bars, a Sportster Tank and Virago 535 shocks.
I'll go kicker only so I may use a tiny batterie, just strong enough to empower the magneto.
This is what I've started with.
7538375yfn.jpg

Bars and grips
7538373lun.jpg

7538374kii.jpg

Cut down rear rails and fitting the rear fender (BSA B25, but I think I'll try a different one)
7538390rfm.jpg

This is the vague direction I'm heading
7538391yvv.jpg

Making a pattern for the seat pan
7538392gte.jpg

My shot on a reduced wiring diagram, based on the one from XS400.net
7538393aim.jpg

Since the bike has to be street legal in Germany, I can't go for a hardtail and need to reduce modifications to the frame to an absolute minimum. Just the cutting of the rear section, new coil mounts and maybe a solution for fitting the Sportster tin.
We have hard regulations over here and every vehicel has to be approved before you get plates and this approval has to be renewed every two years. So not much room for modifications.
I'll do the paint job myself, I made good efforts with rattle can on several beachcruisers. I think I'll shot some silver base on the tank, add metalflakes and cover it with green candy. Maybe some white scallops later.
I hope to get some inspiration and maybe some ideas here.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Here (click) you can find a supplier for candy spray paint.
Since you are from the Netherlands you might even be able to order, if interested.
It's a semi transparent candy that they sell as concentrate for spray gun or in said rattlecans. It's supposed to be sprayed over a silver base coat so it should be real candy. I haven't tried it myself, though, since I'm still trying to find a decent way to mount the gas tank. So, while we're on that subject now, could you show me how you've mounted yours? That's the part I'm stuck at right now.

mine has different stock mounts, 2 on the side in the front (bolted through the stock xs400 mounts), and 2 in the back underneath the tank, simply welded in a short piece of tubing and 2 small mounts to bolt it on :) not sure if i have any pics

thanks for the link, will look into it!

I'm using the same handlebars on mine btw, so i like your choice ;) where did you get the grips?

Good luck with the build

can you post that picture onto the wiring diagram thread? because im wiring mine right now, and you have the same bike. did you relocate the coils? kinda have to for that sporty tank. im running one on mine and the coils are under the main backbone

I found the grips on ebay.com and got them für 1$+shipping which was another 10$ I think.
So 11$ for some NOS 70s grips (the package said they were made in Italy) aren't too bad.
The bars are Fehling bars since I needed something with an ABE number (Germans version of DOT) to stay street legal

can you post that picture onto the wiring diagram thread? because im wiring mine right now, and you have the same bike. did you relocate the coils? kinda have to for that sporty tank. im running one on mine and the coils are under the main backbone

Sure, I might try to translate the several parts next week so that the diagram will be in english. Maybe someone might even look over it. For now I was just able to test the lights/horn/lock
My tank has a really low tunnel and I wouldn't need to relocate the coils. I will relocate them nevertheless because the original brackets got cracks from the vibrations.

Not sure which make they are but I can have a look the next days when hitting up the garage

Thanks guys!
Today I did my first metalwork ever.
I still had to fabricate the electrics box.
All I had for this was a vice, a rubber-tipped hammer and my trusty grinder.
So I took some cardboard to make a pattern and started with some 1.5mm sheet metal
This is what I got. Doesn't look too bad and should fit between the original seat rails and use the old battery box mounts. After welding in the side panels, I'll still have to do some modifications.
7573850hdq.jpg

7573851caj.jpg

looks good and a lot of care went into that.

I do love the belt and braces approach of metal work rather than CAD stuff.

That's why I did my caliper mount by hand using a cornflake packet as a template!

I've been pretty lazy with the build since I bought a XJ 550 for riding (which I did a lot) and started restorating my 1960 Vespa T4 150
Last year I was able to move my stuff into a new garage with a friend, so there's less chaos since we both are really tidy guys when it comes to tools and parts.
This is the new place we're working in with my friends SR 500 cafe:
17852686mt.jpg

A few weeks ago we built a bench, now working on the bikes is really easy and we don't need to crawl around on the floor anymore:
17853219gs.jpg

Well, I got a few things done on the project
-forks polished
-had some parts powdercoated
-made a seat pan out of a deposed traffic sign (2mm aluminum :D )
-made a headlight mount
-frontfender
-painted the front brake caliper
-installed the electrics box
-had a friend redo a sportster tank shell (still needs tunnel, filler bung and petcock bung)
so there was at least a bit of progress
17853426xb.jpg

17853428zk.jpg

17853430pe.jpg

17853433zm.jpg

17853435sm.jpg

17853436hq.jpg

17853439mu.jpg

17853442iw.jpg

next things will be some mounting hardware for the seatpan, installing the ignition lock under the seat and bending some 12mm round steel that will work as a fenderstrut to support the rear fender and end in a small sissy bar (just for the looks)

Back