Behold FRANKENBIKE!

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
There are Honda, Suzuki, Harley Davidson, and even Volkswagen parts on this bike. Resurrected after 13 hard years, uncovered in a yard in Washington.

Attachments

• Frankenbike.jpg
    Frankenbike.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 415
NO! don't clean a perfectly good ratbike!

just add more scrap parts! :) what exactly are the frankenstein-ish parts on it? Definitely the exhaust and the fuel tank, I see. What are they and what else is on there?

I start with the tank,then do something with the exhaust shine up or go with some blacl ceramic high heat paint.1 other thing a set of side covers..:)Then ride ,ride and ride.

NO! don't clean a perfectly good ratbike!

just add more scrap parts! :) what exactly are the frankenstein-ish parts on it? Definitely the exhaust and the fuel tank, I see. What are they and what else is on there?

Got the back tire used off the tire pile free at the back of the Honda shop in Port Townsend, and it's Harley Davidson brand (for front fitment only), but on a small bike it's fine in back. The exhausts are VW mufflers a previous owner welded on, but I took the part that curves down out and one baffle is completely out, the other is on the way. The battery which is held in by the side cover screws and copper housing wire, comes from an 80s Suzuki GS750, and the side cover won't fit on because it's slightly too big.

The headlight is clearly Honda, but I didn't put it on so I have no idea from what. That tank, the mirror, and front tire, come from a Honda GL500. I actually forgot to mention Ford; the tank sits right against the backbone but we cut a Ford radiator hose to ziptie to the backbone for the tank to rest on. Lastly, the back half of the front fender was snapped off, so we took the back half of a fender from and old Honda CR250, we cut both fenders straight, then we put the CR250 piece beneath the remaining front half of the Maxim fender, drilled two holes and used nuts and bolts and spray painted it black to match. In places, various computer screws were used, and I have an old nut and bolt bin that I am sure contains some screws from old Kawasakis I've owned in the past too now. I think that's all, LoL!

I think I like the idea of making it a really nice Frankenbike. Continuing with the hybridized theme, but over time polishing it up and making the various parts more aesthetically pleasing. I still have the side covers and stuff so maybe a proper battery will be one of the early improvements. I am working on the tank, but I figure till all the leaks are sealed and it's properly etch and sealed it's a waste to try and run with it (it is SO full of rust!), so for now the Honda tank can stay.
:D :bike: :D

Believe it or not, the problems I had with the wiring were present back when it was parked 13 years ago. That's why it was parked and back then, other than the headlight and mufflers it was essentially all stock. He parked it and forgot it because it drove him nuts for like a month. He was very impressed to see me ride it to his place and get a bill of sale the other day.

You wouldn't believe how many comments I am getting on it. At tthe bike shop the consensus was that it should stay a rat-bike, that it adds character and people are really impressed with my skills when I fire it up. Mechanically and carb wise, I know what I am doing for the most part and always have, and I can bench sync even a 4 banger better than anyone I have ever met. I even got a job offer from a picker who I let ride it. He's a good guy but a bit of a nutter, so I had to turn it down but it blew him away how well she runs. He said it runs like a new bike. It does only have 16K on the clock and the valves and cam chain don't make any noise or anything.

To be fair though it was owned by two bike mechanic tinkerer guys before me and while it got parked and damaged by the rain, while they were riding it I know they both took very good care of the engine.

For as much trouble as I gave myself fixing it, I really like the bike a lot. Almost as much as I liked my Nighthawk 450. The ONLY reasons I give an edge to the Nighthawk was a bit better gas mileage, it's 6th gear, and the Honda balancer system was most excellent and it ran smoother than some 4 bangers! I am much more proud of this bike though because all I ever did for the nighthawk was replace the clutch.

Oh it's OK I am really an ass when I forget to eat and electrical has ever been the most maddening part of the game for me.

I think most people here harbor a good part of hatred towards their XS's. Accompanied with lots of tender love and care, of course.

Back