Boiling Carbs

Finally got them to turn, they were super filthy. Just wish I hadn't submitted that order to mikesxs already for mix screws and gaskets, priority shipping is killer on the wallet! Also found that I need a single butterfly mounting screw.

I think I'll go through more of the bike before I go ordering small amounts of parts again:)

something that I've done is use a dental Waterpik.fill the reservoir with hot water and white vinegar then use the tool to spray through the small jet holes.then boil and repeat. It's never a bad idea to shoot compressed air through them as well so there's no chance of corrosion. Waterpik is like 40-50 bucks.

Since this thread is dealing with cleaning carbs, I figured I should chip in with a trick I use for super nice looking carbs. Plug all the holes in the carb with squishy yellow cellulose foam, which can be found in all sorts of stuffed or padded items. You can tape the end of any passage that is too small to plug with the foam. Then low pressure glass bead blast your carb. Then simply pull out the foam. I will post a pic of the one I did today. Looks great and nothing gets in the small passages.

Or you can use baking soda and not worry about plugging anything as the soda can be blown out easy and gas will dissolve any residue.

Or you can use baking soda and not worry about plugging anything as the soda can be blown out easy and gas will dissolve any residue.

Very true. I personally like the slightly more satin (shiny) look that the glass beads impart on the aluminum. But soda is the best way to go, with or without plugging the passages with foam. Its cheaper and less risky.

I have developed another (or complemetraty) way of cleaning carbs as mine was in the ultrasonic wash with no luck. I grabbed a fuel pump from some old car, attached a hose to it and shoot the carbs with pressurized technical petrol. Still no luck, but i could see exactly where im shooting and where it comes off the carbs, plugging various holes with my fingers. All holes free to flow (you can feel the pressure).

Back