Butterfly Valves closing slower after carb did

Bssoap74

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I recently did a carb dip and ever since the butterfly valves seem to close slowly when not connected to the bike. I have not hooked the carbs back up to the bike as I found one of my diaphrams does not push smoothly, kinda makes a thud when pushing. Is there anyway to grease the butterflys or do I need new springs?

What are you riding thay has a throttle valve rather than a slide?

You may need to wash again, be sure after dipping to spray with carb cleaner and then air. To lube it all up I like seafoam's Deepcreep. It has a lubricant in it as well as a cleaner. Make sure to give the return springs the same lovin' you're giving the pivot points of the throttle valve.

i hope you didn't dissolve the o-rings on the butterfly shaft and now they're gumming up the shaft. :wink2:

I'm with Mr. Me... Carb dip is great stuff, but you've got to be careful what you put in it.

I've pretty much quit using it and prefer to track each carb passageway down making sure I understand what it does and that I've got it cleared out. Takes time, and can frustrate you too, but worth the extra effort when you're done.

Back