Checkerplate Fender

I don't think you are talking crazy. I've used 2 different trailer fenders on my bike. A plastic one to make the "hugger", and a steel dual axle fender to make the upper fender/seat/top box mount. Princess Auto had them on sale when I was looking for ideas/solutions. Creative thinking is all that is required!

Then again, I've been accused of being crazy... ;)

Hey, thanks for the encouragement!
Crazy is good!
I'd already decided on making some kind of checker plate pieces for my missing side panels so when I found those fenders I instantly saw a neat match coming together. I'm sure there will be some finessing/cutting and I'm sure the brackets will also need finessing but I think I could pull it off with basic tools.
I'm going to sleep on it and probably order one in the morning if nobody on here or Facebook tells me why it's a bad call.
It's worth a try for the price and for me this project is all about learning and trying things.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm going to shorten it a bunch but it's a great starting point.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Finally got around to working on a fender mounting bracket and trimmed the fender.
I used a Jig saw with a metal blade.
It was a little rocky but worked out fairly well. It didn't corner to well but I can finish up with a dremmel.
The fender is fitting way more like I'd pictured in my head.

Back