Chips on fork tube.

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my front shock tube, I have a small chip, I know I need new fork seals anyway, but will those two small blemishes wreck the new seals? It looks like the finish came off on those spots. 20140421_093329.jpg

If you want them polished wet sand and wet sand some more till those blemishes are gone.Taeke a hand operated polisher and use whatever is good for shining up metal surfaces and buff the heck out of them.

I think it's fine. What you could do is spray some vaseline on there and go for a ride and brake hard a few times, you'll see if it's in the regular travel of the suspension. If it's not, don't worry about it. If it is just keep an eye on it.

Looks like a pit. I would clean the area with chrome cleaner. If it is slightly pitted after the cleaning, I would fill it with a metal epoxy, then sand it smooth and polish the area. You will still see the pit, but there will be no rough edge to wear the seal. I did this on my fork and on the front brake piston.

My forks on my 78 had some pretty bad pitting up top and mid way down. To prevent it from spreading/destroying seals I wet sanded all of the pits until the rust was gone, then coated them with JB-weld to rebuild the missing material and sanded back down with some 3000 grit paper in a cross-hatch 45 degree pattern. a few are in range of my seals but the JB weld has held up so far for over 1000 miles and its still smooth and no leaks. just my fix for not wanting to spend money on new/used forks or a re-chrome.

Back