do I need to replace the fork seals when changing the oil?

Alex_D

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am ordering some part to rebuild and modify somewhat the front end of my bike!

Part of this is I want to change the springs for the progressive suspension ones like some other members suggested!

Now i don't want to dismantle everything twice when i could've just done some preventive maintenance.
So while i'm at it, is it advisable to go ahead and change the fork seals at the same time since im going to undo almost everything (i want to paint the forks, cut my fender, add some gaiters, a fork brace)
They don't seem to be leaking.

So far I have the springs on order, gaiters, fork brace, thats it! I will be sourcing the oil locally obviously
Anything thing else i should order i'm not thinking of right now?

yes put some new ones on. If you don't you're gonna regret it once it starts leaking, and there's a big chance if you put the old ones back they will be leaky straight away.

If you had just been changing the fork oil I would have said no. But since you're rebuilding the forks it would be unwise to leave the old ones in.

Alright, thanks a lot for the input, i think i going to order the seals right away!

so in order to rebuild the forks im going to need :
-new oil
-new springs
-forks seals

anything else im missing? (i'm a noob when it comesto motorcycles, never done it)

Alright, thanks a lot for the input, i think i going to order the seals right away!

so in order to rebuild the forks im going to need :
-new oil
-new springs
-forks seals

anything else im missing? (i'm a noob when it comesto motorcycles, never done it)

If the dust covers have any cracks in the I would get a set of them.

Back