Electrical problems

moorishone

xs400 new project help
Reaction score
Hello again. I am still having problems with my electrical system I replaced the battery and did a voltage check on the battery running and not and the battery showed 13amps while running and while not running it did not drop at all even when I reved the engine the battery voltage was the same. I do not know what else to change the regulator/ rectifier the coils the motor. The stator is fine it shows 3.8 or 1.1 I don't remember cause I checked everything can someone help cause I'm ready to sell this shit and get something else I've had this bike for almost a month have changed everything and put all kinds of time and money into it and have only ridden it twice the first time it stalled on me now it won't hold a charge enough to restart even after I charge it for hours..... Oh yeah now it's leaking gas out of the air filter and the left side even with the petcock off I am not the most patient guy nor do I have unlimited amounts of money to keep fixing it... Sorry for the run on sentences but I'm pissed thanks

It sounds like a non charging issue. It's probably the stator or more likely the voltage regulator. Do another test on your stator first. Unplug the stator at the multi pin connector and hook up a volt meter. Set the volt meter to AC volts at the 100V range. You are testing the three legs of the stator, remembering it produces AC voltage, not DC volts.
Hook your volt meter to any two pins and start the engine and note the voltage at idle,next rev to 5000 rpm and note the voltage. You should get 85v. ( Thats the range for Suzuki's, but probably close for Yamaha as well). Do three test combinations in total. Eg pin 1-2, pin 1-3, pin 2-3. Do the test quickly and shut off the engine between tests. Running the stator unplugged is very hard on it, but OK for short test periods. This will determine if the stator is indeed OK, and you can eliminate it as the problem source.

Back