Engine Removal

jthiessen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

Taking my engine out for the first time (to address low compression issues) and am looking for a few tips.
1. Do I NEED to take the oil out? Will the oil filter casing clear the frame when I remove the engine?
2. Any tips for moving the exhaust pipe out of the silencers? Mine are kinda stuck but I don't want to yank on them too hard for fear of causing other problems...

Thanks in advance!

Having recently put an engine IN (and probably gonna take it out again, blech) I believe I got mine in there with the oil filter casing on. When I put it in I tilted the head in first, then lifted it up to the frame and rocked to bottom in (this is all assuming you've got a frame like mine and the frame has that Y in front of the engine). Can't speak to the silencers sadly... all I got is a furgin' rusty 'ol Jardine 2-in-to-1 ;)

After banging on the header and silencer for a good hour I decided it might just be easier to undo one more bolt and take the whole left side exhaust off. Simple. Done. Lets hope that is the hard part...I have to lift it into the car tomorrow.

As a final update to this thread...
Turns out I did need to empty the oil, or at least remove the oil filter. The two mounting bolts on the lower front weren't able to clear the oil filter cover.
Good to know!

Ah yeah you have an older frame. The frame that came after yours eliminated that problem with the under-hung motor mounts. I guess the Yammi engineers got tired of hearing the complaints from all the service departments and made a change ;)

Back