Engine struggling to start

mpark620

mpark620
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So not too long ago I managed to finally get my bike started hadn't driven it yet. I don't have an electrical start so everything is kickstart. Whenever I kickstart it starts up after a couple kicks, however once I pull the throttle it just dies out. I pulled the choke out and did all I could to figure out the problem but nothing. Could it be that the float level is a bit off? Anyone else have similar troubles? It's for an 82 yamaha xs400s btw. Would appreciate any sort of guidance, thanks guys!

Best,

Mikey

While I would agree that the floats should be adjusted to at or near specs, I'm NOT convinced they are directly related to the problem stated above.

If the bike will idle but then dies as soon as you twist the throttle, I would suspect a clogged passage in the carb. The moment you twist the throttle you are allowing the cylinder to take in more air. If that increase in air cannot be mixed with the proper amount of gas inside the carb, the bike starves for lack of fuel.

If this were a float issue, and not a clogged carb passage, you should still be getting a fuel/air mixture to the engine when you twist the throttle, at least for a blip or two until the higher revs are able to draw whatever gas is in the carb bowl.

I know you said you cleaned the carbs 2 months ago. Was that their first cleaning? Many of us on here, myself included, will tell you to try cleaning them 3, 4, even 5 times. I would have sworn I had my carbs clean the first time (and second time, and third time). While each time the bike ran better, it wasn't until the 4th cleaning or so that things really started to come together. I can now kick it over on the first kick and she'll rev without any issues anymore. What I started with was exactly what you were describing above...

You guys are awesome. I'll try cleaning her up again tonight and see how she does. I'll also make sure to see that the float level are adjusted to its correct spec. Thanks again!

Best,

Mikey

Back