Factory baffle chop

KC-AceCafe

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question guys, just before I do something stupid I can't reverse.

I'm trying to avoid rejetting my carbs, however I've since removed the baffles from the factory mufflers and it obviously wont run right like this.

What I'm thinking of doing is, taking the baffles and cutting them down to a shorter size then reinstalling them.

Is that alright? It won't sound like crap?

This is 100% my personal opinion... but I've never heard a hacked up exhaust *ever* sound good. You might want to investigate finding a muffler you like more and taking it to an exhaust shop and having the old one pulled and new one welded on.

See, I'm new to the bike world. I don't know what the proper etiquette is for modding these things, I just know that a lot of people weld washers and metal tabs etc into the mufflers, and I figured why not work with what I have and remove a small section of the baffles.

I guess because there's no packing in these mufflers, that any modification to them will make them sound tinny.

I think I'll just throw the gutted mufflers back on and rejet the carbs! I'll have to upload a video too.

You will probably still have to rejet...Mufflers that look and sound good can be had at a decent price...

Back