First bike need help!!

arusha28

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I know this thread may already be out there but I have searched and wasn't able to find it, so if you can find it and send me the link that would be helpful.

So I bought my first ever motorcycle, 81 xs400, I was told it needs a new battery and should run. I got the battery and got it running, though it doesn't turn on every single time. The main problem I'm confused about is when I turn it on with the choke on, and keep the choke on, I rev it up and and it idles too high. When I turn it on with no choke, or turn the choke off while its running, it idles normal for a couple seconds then really slowly dies. I have no idea what this problem could be.

I was told by a buddy that my battery isn't fully charged but it has been getting it on, so I'm thinking its not the battery.

If anyone could give me any ideas as to what the problem is, or what to do I would greatly appreciate it!

Carbs. Have a search on the forum on how to clean them. In my how-to what to do first with your new xs thread youll find more info and links. Id give u a link to it but im on my phone atm.

Welcome!

Thanks for the help guys.

So I fixed it today, I didnt have to clean the carbs at all, I just had to adjust the idle screw to the right position. Now that it stays on it runs so much smoother. This being my first bike I have noticed a great increase in power/speed which is interesting.

The only problems I have now are the electric start wont start it, but I'm pretty sure its because I didnt properly charge the battery, and that smoke comes out of the left muffler, I think it may be burning oil (bad seal maybe?).

if it's blue it may be oil, yes. If your oil level is too high it splurges out some into your air filter, and subsequently into your combustion chamber. But usually blue smoke means badly piston rings.

white smoke means you have water in your fuel, or your exhaust, or somewhere between the tank and the combustion chamber

Back