Fork boots

Requiem

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,

For my xs400 build (will open up a topic soon once my frame is modified) i got a set of triumph fork covers off of ebay, hoping to use them on my bike, like in THE BEST xs400 chop ever (as seen on this forum)
9f10e498.jpg

Only problem is: my fork boots are 2-3mm (diameter) wider than the covers... Those covers were quite a b#tch to obtain and quite expensive to import from the US, so I really really want to use them.
Do you guys reckon it'd be safe to have the 2-3mm machined off of the fork boots without making them dangerous to use?

Posted via Mobile

Don't do it; you mean the lower tube that holds the axle? This is probably one of the most critical parts on your bike and our forks are already considered spindly; I wouldn't whittle them down further. Modify the covers, not the forks.

Sorry m8 might nog have been clear enough, I meant the top of the boots, the thicker bit that has the dust cover on :)
The covers can't be modified, would be a huge waste as well with the state they're in and the money they've cost

Posted via Mobile

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me; I couldn't risk my health for aesthetics or sentimentality. It would probably require some specialized knowledge to determine with any amount of certainty whether the part will be likely to fail if shaved down.

How about manufacturing a piece that goes in between the fork boots and the covers?

Something like this:
mod1_139992022.jpg

(did it quickly in paint, but you get the idea)

I like that idea; no modification to either part. It seems like a good compromise.

Basically a good idea :)
though the cover is meant to slide over the fork boots for quite a bit, so i'd have to take a large part of, and it'd kill the 'smooth' look the covers provide :(

afraid i'm just not gonna be able to use the covers

ah, that's too bad.
But hey, don't give up on it yet. There is always a way. :)

Would it look like hell if you cut the covers lengthwise and stretched it a bit at the bottom?
Give us a pic of the covers! And someone will probably come up with an idea that works. :)

Edit: haha, was a little quick on my idea earlier. It wouldn't slide at all would it. It totally destroys the function of the forks. :) My bad.

Hey Requiem

What holds the covers in place? Are they just clamped between the top and bottom yoke or is any other method involved? Do you leave the dust seals on? Is the tapered end 33mm?

Sorry for the questions, just interested really. Have you checked to see if the distance between the top and bottom yoke matches the distance from the tapered end of the cover to the slot for the bottom yoke. Just thinking about different length headstocks on different bikes. If any material needed trimming of the length you would look to avoid taking from the tapered end and so increasing the diameter of the opening there.

Don't give up mate, I reckon there is a solution to this little problem so you end up with some cool fork covers :thumbsup: (not sure I've been any hel pthought :shrug:)

Hey CadXS

The covers are indeed clamped in between the two yokes, with normally a bolt fastening them to the bottom yoke. The dust seals would definitely need to be taken off.The tapered end is around 35mm, so a perfect fit.

A first test has the covers fitting perfectly between the two yokes.

Only solution I see at this point is machining the difference off of the fork boots, considering the opening in the sides in which the dust seals fasten. If the boots are strong enough there, the rest should be fine at that width as well right?

Thanks for the help mate :)

I would do it....but that could be the latest on a long list of stupid things I've done :D

I'm thinking there is a lot of material around the top of the fork lowers and I would be willing to possibly ruin a set trying to make those covers fit by machining a millimeter or so from the diameter on a lathe.

That's my :twocents:, but I've just managed to walk around the supermarket with my t-shirt inside out and back to front, so my advice could be worth shit :shrug:

I think you can shave that "top hat" section of the upper fork lowers. the thick bit at the top won't be doing any structural work, its just a lip for the fork rubbers. I would be concerned if your taking the main body down.

Measure twice, cut once is the motto!

I would machine them. Like drewpy said, they dont do much more than hold the seals in place. And if it should break you will get an oil leak, not like its going to explode or anything.

Back