Front wheel shaking over 50mph

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the tittle says after 50mph my front wheel shakes bad, I can see the front forks bouncing up and down, the tires are in OK shape, a little dry rott but nothing to bad, I have it set at 28psi per the sticker on the forks, they are Yokohama tires and I have spoke wheels, (like a bicycle) there is no play anywhere, like a bad bearing or loose parts. Also I plan on getting a new tire up front I understand if I have spoke wheels I also have an inner tube? Is there a way to keep my wheels and not use a inner tube? Where can I buy a tire and inner tube package, if I have to go that route, like I said tire is OK, plenty of tread just old..

That tire is shot. The dry rot says it all, the rubber is dried out and hard. You should replace the tube at the same time as the tire. The vibration could be from a slipped belt in the tire, a missing wheel weight, or an imbalance caused by a silly over-sized valve stem cap. While you have the wheel off, clean and re-grease the bearings, service the brake, etc.

Don't run old tires. It isn't worth dying over.

You can buy tires and tubes from any major motorcycle tire distributor. In the past I have been using bikebandit for tires.

The tires and tubes are sold separately; I've never heard of a "package" deal for both of them, but it's possible.

Most motorcycle shops should also carry the tubes at least.

tyres have a shelf life of 5 years, after that they deteriorate.

tubes are easy to get hold of (in UK)

hate to say but hit up ebay and get some new tires if you want to go cheap. my bike has a set of factory tires on it from 1977. they look awsome:laugh:. I was about to buy new ones until my clutch went out. new tires on ebay were about $200. now my clutch parts are $200:wtf:

Shop around a little. I have seen clutch discs for about $50 a set and tires for $80 to $120 a set.

yeah but i have to swap out my steel and friction disk. and i am going to get new springs and bearings. plus 5 6v lights.

6 volt lights? To what end?

Which bearings are you replacing? Wheel bearings?

If you're replacing the metal discs they are certainly more expensive than just friction discs.

77 dt400 mentioned on another thread. there is a brass bearing that the basket rides on and throw out washers they call bearings.
yeah metal disks are $20 each need 6 plus 7 frictions.

Check Ebay. I believe I saw a Barnett kit that included friction discs, springs, and the metal discs for right around the $100 mark.

Is the clutch slipping or something? I never saw you mention why you are replacing the entire thing.

I just realized this is a thread hijack. That's why :)

Yeah at closer inspection there is a knot on the tread prob a broken belt, I probly should have checked that closer, I drove 80 miles to work and back on that tire! Wow that was dumb, anyway stamped on the rim is 18x1.60, I can't find a size on the tire? So do I look for that size tire, I thought it was 18x1.50.thanks

not to sure about the tire but if the rim is stamped i would go with what the rim says. unless its not the factory rim.

18x1.60 should be the dimensions of the wheel. 18" diameter, 1.60" width. The stock tire sizes should be listed on the DOT sticker, which is typically found on the frame by the VIN number.

Yup you guys where right! I went to the Yamaha dealer and got a new tire, all said and done with mounting was under $120 witch Givin that's the dealer I guess not to bad. The tech said the bead literally started to crumble when he took the tire off . thanks for the advice I just assumed a balance was all I needed.

Posted via Mobile

Back