Fuel Economy DOHC

doodsaibot

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Since I have owned my bike, I have religiously tracked the mileage I get from each and every tank and also take into account the riding habits I had to use for that given riding period. Concerning my Maxim, it is stock. Carbs run just slightly on the richer side. I use 87 octane from Valero.

The best I have ever gotten was a total of 49.5MPG:thumbsup:. That is with leisure riding through the hill country with just my protective gear on and a pack of tools/essentials. The worst I have ever seen, meaning I had to ride heavy throttle in every gear like a maniac to stay alive on these roads:eek:, I got 39.5MPG.

Typically though, I see an average of 46 to 47MPG. I also use a product called Ethanol Shield to protect the rubber since I do not have ethanol free gas available near me. Just felt like sharing this info and was wondering if any other riders have also tracked their mileage.

Will be tracking consumption once I get my two back on the road.
We pretty much only have ethanol free in 94 octane here.
Not sure what the tradeoffs would be. Might try a full tank of ethanol 87 and then flush it out with a tank of ethanol-free 94, tracking mileage on both.

Back