General questions - throttle assembly, electronics tray, etc.

Jon

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the XS400 forum after picking up a nice barn find - 1982 XS400SJ Heritage Special with about 7,500 miles on it (or 12,000km for me in Canada). After going to look at it, I knew I couldn't leave it, and so now I have a new cafe/scrambler project on my hands (see picture below). I was impressed to see that most of the chrome had virtually no rust or pitting, and the paint is actually in good shape too. I was also pleased that the Heritage Special still had the SOHC engine in it. I've almost completed the tear down over the last week, and as of now, it's down to a few final pieces - an engine in a frame on two wheels.

I know the rebuild process will take some time, and I've already found a few things that are going to need some TLC and replacement parts. This forum has been great so far for manuals and stuff, so thanks to the providers. I'm sure I'll likely have several questions along the way for you all, and I thought I'd ask a couple to get things rolling. I'm going to be making this bike kick start only, and I have a general idea of the look I'm going for.

1. Electronics tray list, what's inside? What basic components have most of you kept if kick start only? Have you gotten rid of safety relays for example, other things, etc? I'll be taking out the starter and the electronic ignition components, and going to a small 12v 2.6 ah battery. I need flashers and lights in Canada, but could I scrap the auto-cancelling unit for example?

2. Throttle assembly switch out? I'll want to keep the bar section really clean, so only basic gauges and key switch. Since it will be kick start only, have any of you switched out your twist throttle assembly? I'll be ordering new controls for brake and clutch and kill switch, but could an eBay find like the picture below work for the throttle? The existing unit has the start button and old looking kill switch I won't need. I'm guessing I might also need to find/make a shorter throttle cable with the large bars removed. Thoughts?

Thanks!
001.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
First off welcome!!!!!!!! and now my thoughts :D that thing looks sweet if it was me I would look for a messed up one to hack up........I just did a Brat style build over the summer but the bike I started with had been cut up already and also purchased 2 non titled bikes for parts. Search out my build as I used a nice throttle assembly from Revival and also used motogadget stuff as well I had nothing really for electrical as all bikes were a mess. One even had coils off a car zip tied onto the frame :laugh2: it worked though..........

There are tons of options out there for switches and gadgets.......it all comes down to how much do you want to spend ;)

Thanks for the welcome and reply Spectra.

I thought about keeping the bike original at first, but I've always liked the idea of having a cafe/brat bike.
I checked out the throttle assembly options from Revival, and that's basically what I'll be looking for, so it's good to know some options are available.

Anyone else have thoughts about what to include in the electronics tray for a kick start only bike?
-Battery
-Fuse box
-Regulator
-Rectifier (placed on the outside of the tray somewhere for air flow)
-??

I'll keep you and the other members updated as the build progresses!

Nice find. One of the Canadian '82s with the front disk brake.

You'll need to keep the electronic ignition box unless you replace the entire ignition with something aftermarket (Pamco).
Not really worth it if the stock unit still works.

As you suggested you'll need the flasher relay but you can drop the auto-canceller.
Just need to reconnect the flasher connector's ground wire from the canceller plug to ground.
I'd also retain the headlight relay. It'll help with starting, especially kick-only.

Thanks BBS360,

That's right, single piston caliper on a front disk. The caliper body is in great shape, but I need to clean the piston and redo the seals. There was quite a bit of rust on the outer piston since the dust seal failed, but I think it will clean up okay.

Good mention about keeping the electronic ignition box, as I guess I will need that even for kick start only. It's in good working order, so won't need to replace it.

As for the headlight relay, I assume it's one of these under the tank area in the picture below? When sitting on the bike, the left one is the starter relay and the right is the headlight relay, correct? Is there a safety relay anywhere for the side stand for example on this bike?

IMG_1676.jpg

As for the headlight relay, I assume it's one of these under the tank area in the picture below? When sitting on the bike, the left one is the starter relay and the right is the headlight relay, correct? Is there a safety relay anywhere for the side stand for example on this bike?
The headlight relay is the one with the yellow.
The other is the starter safety relay. Starter won't engage unless in neutral.
No side stand switch on these ones.

When I was in the middle of my project, I was considering a kick-only setup.

Oh man am I glad I didnt go forward with that idea... My bike is hard to start when its below 45C.. It takes a long time and its very tiring. I can imagine that being a problem when you live in Canada. My engine is essentially brand new since I rebuilt it last year too.

IMO, I think you are focusing too much on the "accessories". Im not sure if youve ever had any sort of project like this before. But I think you should start with the bigger stuff first and then worry about what color brake handle or bar tassles you want to buy..

Your bike is a complete example in perfect running order. Only change out what you need and leave the stuff that works. You will get to the smaller things when you are able to get on and ride.

-The major concern to your cafe build will be the tail section of the bike and the seat.
-Then you need to get custom with your tail section and make a hoop and have it welded up.
-Then you need to make your own seat pan and possibly rewire some electronics to tuck away inside and remove what you want.
-Then you need to get some foam and shape out a seat and get some upholstery.
-Next in line would be what kind of bars you want. usually clip ons, I have Tarozzi Standards, They have GREAT clearance and they dont hit my tank even when mounted below the top clamp.
-Then you can worry about paint
-Then you can think about turn signals since your new rear hoop will not accommodate the original signals.
-Then you can pick out some tires.

BUT before you start all of this, make sure the engine is in perfect tune and runs smooth.

Here you can see my bike, I bought a random small battery that I think is made for scooters just so I was able to get my bike started. I ended up using it because I just wanted to ride for the rest of the Summer and worry about the smaller details over the coming Winter. Actually, Im very embarrassed to show this picture, But it worked and I am making up a new setup now including a new seat and pan, and electronics configuration. I also have "new" air filters thanks to XSChris that I will use to clean up the midsection. You can see in my seat, that I cut the foam a little thin and made the underside cut out too big in the pan, I thought I was putting more electronics in there.. It was a painful Summer lol

Attachments

• IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 248
Thanks for the comments and pictures NewHavenMike, nice bike!

I drove it a little while before starting the teardown, and most times it would start on the first kick. It also moves through the gears smoothly, so I'm not too concerned about the engine (yet), maybe except checking/adjusting the valves.

You're right about focusing on the bigger things first though, and I already have many of the parts I need. I picked up a pair of superbike bars since I like the look, and a rear upswing hoop I'll be welding on in the next couple weeks. I'll also be making the seat pan and foam outline for a brat seat, but I'll price around to get it upholstered professionally I think. Haven't seen any prefab seats on eBay that I really like or suit the larger hips of the xs400 - thought I've seen other members bend in the frame to accomodate.

I'll be doing a front caliper rebuild, and I have the new main/pilot jets to rejet the carbs, since I'll be going with UNI pod filters. The battery and air filter box is already removed. Like I said, I'm down to the frame and engine, so way past the point of just tweaking the original bike. I'll order some new rubber and other accessories in the spring since I have plenty to work on until then. I'm pulling the engine in the next week to clean it, and I'll see if I want to repaint. Same with the frame, and I'll be welding in the electronics tray.

I've been around bikes for a while, so I won't be totally overwhelmed with this project. Just need to get caught up on the older pieces and workings of this bike. Wiring is not a strength, but I've seen great wiring diagrams and explanations on the forum so far. I'll post some more pics soon as I weld in the rear hoop and electronics tray.

Back