Got a 2nd Seca, Starts with starting fluid then dies

OnePhate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Well I picked up a second "just in case" parts bike for 200 bucks.
I brought it home changed the oil (lesson learned) and swapped the obviously dirty carbs with my carbs that had just been cleaned. I got the bike started with starting fluid and hit the throttle and it revved right up! I was so excited!
Then it died....

What am I missing here? Is it only running on the starting fluid?
It didnt matter if choke was on or off...
I'm guessing it isn't getting fuel but I know fuel is getting to the carbs.

I had the same problem. How deep did you clean the carbs. Did they work on the other bike you had them on? Your jets may be gummed up.

They have been very thoroughly cleaned twice and I didn't witness it myself but i was told they ran fine on the other bike, but still the knock from the spun rod bearing was there. Maybe this is a tuning issue? It acts like its getting no fuel so maybe I am looking at a bad adjustment that happened between me polishing the carbs and them being installed on the 2nd bike? I'd sure hate to take the carbs apart myself and clean them again, but I will if that's the absolute cause.

Is the fuel tank in the parts bike clean? Is the petcock a vacuum type? You actually drained the bowls to check for gas?

There are other reasons it might not stay running, like major leaks along the intake or exhaust tract. Starting fluid is so rich and volatile that it might be able to overcome other problems until it burns off completely. Are you certain both cylinders were firing?

Yes both cylinders were firing, it ran like a dream for the 15 seconds it ran. I'm using the gas tank off my bike as the parts bikes gas tank is rusted to hell. When I posted I hadnt checked to make sure i connected all the lines, I did miss the vacuum line to the petcock. I have not drained the bowls to check for gas. Going to do that right now. Will update in a minute.
Also it sounded like it wanted to start after connecting the vacuum line. Hopefully something good will happen.
I just had the neighbours come over very angry because i started it on the fluid and cranked the throttle.:D

Maybe wait until tomorrow? I had to fight the urge to tinker with mine a few times because I am such a night owl and emgo shorty exhaust pipes are quite loud...

Okay there was gas in the float bowls. Still no start. I have good compression and spark. But it seems somehow fuel isn't making its way in the cylinders.

I would look at float height and general carb cleanliness as much as I hate to suggest it!

On an xs the battery is where the charge for the ignition comes from. If you were to use the electric start a few times it has most definetly lost its charge. Recharge it, if that does not work you will have to replace it and make a promise to the entire forum to only use electric start when you are going to ride it right after (thats how it is charged again)
From then on only start it by clicking into 2nd gear, pushing the bike forward while holding the clutch, then pop the clutch and she should be running.

Hope this will help, maybe someone else can correct me when im wrong, it is not like i am that good with motorcycles yet :)

Just had quite the explosion, I guess I used a little too much starting fluid. The air filter literally exploded out of the air box. I guess its time to pull the carbs, I was getting it started for a little bit without the fluid, then I decided to spray some in there to help it along. Guess there was already a build up of fluid it was running on.

Get a decent charge on the battery and while trying to start it spray some fluid at the carb boots and see if it tried to start then. If so, its a leak causing it to run to lean behind the carb.

No leak at the boots. hmmmm. I cranked it over for a good long time and not even a hint of gas to the cylinders. Time to tear down the carb. You win this time bcware lol

Make sure you check here for a proper float height. Usually the manual is wrong.

Back