Help with Handlebars

Sarebear

New to Maintenance
Reaction score
Alright, so I've had my 1981 XS400 special for about 6 years now. I love this bike, it fits me great and I'd like to learn to work on it.

So, first order of business is I need to change out the handlebars. I laid it down a few years ago and the handlebars bent. There is no damage to the forks, just gotta get new bars. I have a Haynes manual for it, but it doesn't go over how to change out the bars. If anyone knows of a good article/tutorial/video on this, any help would be appreciated.

Eventually, I'd like to restore it to it's original grandeur, so I don't want different bars, just replacements. Anyone know of anywhere to get good original parts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Changing handle bars is very easy to do,the most difficult thing is removing the old grips,then repositioning all the controls.Look in the middle portion of where your bars are there will two bolts and threaded fastening devices.I have the same bike you do and I hated the buck horn bars.They hurt my wrist a lot and I tried several different positions but they were just two narrow.I have euro bars now and Im quite happy how they feel.

You can find a lot of aftermarket oem style bars on the net. I would try ebay first. You may find a good used set of stock ones for cheap. Welcome to the forum.

Hi and welcome.

Yea it's not hard, just requires a bit of elbow grease to get the grips off. A rubber mallet helps with these sort of things.

There are a lot of people who replace the stock bars by clip ons, drag bars, euro bars or things like that, so you'll likely be able to find a good stock set. Ebay, but also the classifieds here on the forum will help.

I bought my bars from the motorcycle super store,seems to be a good place for me to buy parts.I paid around $40 with tax on mine.My original bars were also bent from dropping my bike over after my front brakes locked up.So I took my torch with map gas and straightened them.I sill didn't like them.Like as mentioned ealier Im happy with my eurobars.
One thing to consider when buying new bars is what posture will you be in when riding,some of these bars can have you hunched over which isn't good for my back.With the euros I can sit upright and width is perfect.

Welcome Sarebear

It's pretty easy to change bars. Take the controls off the bars then the grips.

For the controls, make sure your screwdriver fits the head really well and apply lots of pressure when working on the screws or you will strip the heads.

What I do for removing grips is, I work a small flat screwdriver between the grip and the bar, carefully wiggle it as I work it deeper, being careful not to punch through the rubber. After I've got it in a few inches and there is some space along the screwdriver I insert the spray nozzle on a can of WD40 into the gap and spritz in a bit of WD40. Work the screwdriver around a bit and start trying to turn the grip with your hand. You may have to repeat the proceedure a couple times til it comes loose. Pull off the grip. Like someone said above, a rubber mallet may help for banging it off but I've never had to resort to that.

What is it that you are stuck on exactly?

One way to remove the left grip is to remove the throttle then use a rag to seal around the air nozzle on your compressor. A blast of air blows the grip off. That is if the end of the grip is solid. If it has a hole it won't work.
As the air gets to the grip it pushes in between the grip and bar. This loosens the grip and blows the grip off.
Maybe sealing the open end of the grip with duct tape will work.
Leo

I have a completely Stock 81 xs400. Love the bike hate the handle bars. Looking for something that does not sweep back. Hard on the wrist! I grew up riding dirt bikes and that position is what I am used to. If anyone can send a picture or a link to some handle bars that they are using and like that would help out. Not sure what size I need? Thanks for all your hlep. This site is amazing and full of really great people!

I recogmend a set of eurobars thats the same problem I had with the buck horns that are stock.Look around on the online motorcycle part stores they make a dirt bike style bars you can add on to the bike.I believe in the lounge or classifed section theres a list of online stores

Back