Here we go! My 79 restoration/ cleanup

When i got mine fired back up it sucked the foam from air cleaners looks like what happend to you. Both front and rear should turn on brake light the switch for rear one is near back of brake pedal on frame. I had trouble with that one adjuster nut was loose.

Sorry, sorry, I was looking the other way when you said that....

Did you say "With new cable no more revving and lagging?"

;)

Drewcifer

PS, there is a sensor cable that is pulled down on when you use your back brake. If it's adjusted incorrectly the rear brake light will never go off.

Sorry, sorry, I was looking the other way when you said that....

Did you say "With new cable no more revving and lagging?"

;)

Drewcifer

:thumbsup: Ha ha, yes thank you. I will not ignore your advice ever again. I did try to say that in my post. In my defence the cable seemed pretty good and it wasn't until it was off the bike that I could feel it grabbing.
I have the brake light issue figured out and it is the sensor on the front lever. Its a little loose were it clips into the bracket. The lever won't push back enough to push the plug in to shut off the juice. Im thinking I may just build up the edge part of the lever that pushes in the pin. Tape or something to fir it out.

The throttle cable was hooped after all and a new one has been installed and works perfectly. No more revving and lag with the new cable. Did a few laps up and down the block and was running well and sounded great. Its better to listen to you guys at the start and save lots of wasted time.

From yesterday
I need to sync my carbs so I did all the pre work for that. Lots to do. Everything went pretty well by the end of the day except for one issue. The left side has a chatter that wasn't there before the valve adjustment. Zonk39 is going through the same thing but I figured I wouldn't hijack his thread. This bike has not been ridden much except for up and down the driveway for a few years so I tried to go over everything. Here's what I did today:
Points-sanded, gapped
Valves-adjusted to specs ( I had to guesstimate on the intake valve because my feelers don't go that small)
Timing-did it
All the point and timing screws were pretty mangled so lots of tinkering has been done to this bike over the years. The po was running the air filters with no filter material on them I'm sure he had a hard time tuning it.
The bike growls like a tiger now. Its amazing how raspy it feels. I can't wait to sync the carbs but the chatter sound is obviously not right. I went over the valve clearances twice to make sure everything was tight but it still chatters.
Any ideas on this? My drunken neighbour says that carbon on the valves will cause chatter after an adustment until its burned off. Thanks as usual for any advice.

Today
I went back over everything again today and the valves are giving me a hard time. I adjust the valve clearances then run the bike for a bit. Let it cool right down then check the clearances again and they are way off. Not sure why as I am tightening the nuts. Still a pinging sound coming from the left top end. Screw it for today,I am going fishing.

The stripped bolts are a common problem on older bikes. Just make friends with the small tool/hardware store near your house. They'll have all the replacements you'll need.

Well, I managed to get the carbs synced(sp?) today. Like all the other posts I read on this, when I first started the bike the left side sucked the fluid up so quickly I had to shut it off real fast. Almost a full turn to the right made it so I could fine tune it. When I first got it really close the RPM shot up from 1300 to 3000! Cranked down the idle and got her purring like a kitten. My tach is a little messed up so I am not sure where I am at exactly but it sounds pretty good. The tach will stay at 1000 when I shut the bike off but falls back down to near zero after a while. Going by feel on this one. I have a new clutch cable coming in Tuesday hopefully so time for the first real ride. I can't wait as summer is slipping away here.
One thing I did wrong was I rested the wood on the frame so it vibrated so much the atf became usless in the tubes. If you try this make sure to not rest the hydrometer on the bike.
I have a few issues still with the valves on the left side pinging way more then before I checked the gaps. I have messed with them a few times and its not going away. You can hear it in the vid.
The other issue is the left side signals won't blink but I will clean all the connections and see if i can figure it out. Heres a short vid.
I also changed the oil in the left fork leg but of course the right side drain screw was stripped:mad:.....serenity now serenity now!!!!!

The brake lever/light issue seems like you just need to adjust the free play by using the knurled cable ends right on the perch..this will tighten it up pulling it back off the switch, As for the turn signals maybe your flasher is bad, but to test start the bike, flip your turn signal on and rev it up to 4k or so..if it doesnt start blinking its probably your flasher..any old square type 12v flasher will work..atleast my that was the case for be..Good luck

Back