hi just purchast a xs400 project

chippy58

chippy58
Reaction score
Photo0096.jpg

hi i am new to the forum. i have just acquired a xs400 that was in a garden for 10 years covered up . there is a lot of hear missing but i plan on making a cafe racer out of what is there. i must be mad but at least the engine is turning over with compreshon and the carbs are really clean thanks to the last owner filling pots with oil and draining carbs. will post a picture if i can and let you how she goes cheers chippy

Welcome..

The bike looks pretty rough. I would strip it all down, inspect the frame for damage (rust) and clean the carbs anyway.

was planning on doing just that will pull engine to bits as i would think the least it will need is new valve stem seals ,valves lapping in and bores honing. the frame will be blasted and powder coated the wheels seam ok the rest will be replaced with the best parts i can get on my budget cheers chippy

man that looks dire :D I'm sure you'll crack it

judging from your spelling, I assume your from the UK?

welcome to the forum Chippy :thumbsup:

Last edited:
yer i am from north east England Drewpy we tend to spell the way we talk. It in a horrible state but that's the way i like them a blank canvas. will keep you updated xschris cheers chippy

Looks like you'll have some fun.

Welcome to the forum Chippy.

I like basket cases. There is something really enjoyable about having extreme before and after photos. They cost alot to fix up. But as long as your not worries about the money ;)

Shaun

Looks like you'll have some fun.

Welcome to the forum Chippy.

I like basket cases. There is something really enjoyable about having extreme before and after photos. They cost alot to fix up. But as long as your not worries about the money ;)

Shaun
really enjoy bringing a bike back to life shaun ,as for the cost i do it on a budget and tend to let what parts are around cheep at the time dictate what form she will tack this one will probable be a bobber but if i get some cafe racer bits cheep all the better would love to make a British cafe racer look a like . first i will concentrate on the engine cheers chippy

Thanks Pork Chop started the engine today for 30 seconds sounds sweet and smooth,then puled it all down ready to strip engine and frame . Decided to build a minimal bobber with hear as front and rear 16in wheels are in good condition

Cheers Travis did not wont to run it to long but sounded sweet. Will be striping engine to glaze bust bores and rebuild. Fond a genuine yamaha cylinder head,base gasket and valve stem oil seals so as long as there are no nasty surprises engine should be rebuilt soon. cheers chippy

:):)
hi did a bit of work on the bike she starting to look ok

Attachments

• Photo0110.jpg
    Photo0110.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Photo0112.jpg
    Photo0112.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
yes painted engine but going to polish side casings later decided to make it a street tracker as have piked up a nice seat unit cheep just waiting for good weather so i can paint it with tank and wheels, i only have a small shed and have to do it out side

hi this the rusty wreck is starting to look ok but still a lot to do

Attachments

• Photo0127.jpg
    Photo0127.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Photo0129.jpg
    Photo0129.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Photo0128.jpg
    Photo0128.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 198
wow man looks good. i would say its turned into more of a tracker. i love it. seein all these trackers lately makes me wanna build my next bike as one. in fact. thats what its gonna be. you all heard it first. next bike = tracker. thanks for the inspiration. cant wait to see it finished. and the gold lowers are awesome

like the JPS colours, I'm sure you can get a smaller fuel filter, I got a micro one for a £1 and they still flow real good.

working on a friends scooter ATM which is very different to a motorcycle

Back