How To Lower the front of a 1980 xs400 and then modify the side stand...?

wedge98

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part 1:

So during the rebuild of the xs400, I have a great opportunity to lower the forks as the engine is removed. I read in some other posts, you just unclamp the fork tubes and slide the triple tree down. I attempted this yesterday and much to my dismay, the top of the fork tube where the triple tree connects is much narrower than the rest of the fork tube. So sliding it down is just not an option.

I've seen some other mention of cutting springs and such. If I cut the springs down some amount and threw in PVC or something to offset the spring removal, would the bike sit lower as a result of the smaller/stiffer spring?

A detailed explanation would be awesome.

Part 2:
The rear has already been lowered and my girlfriend is redoing the seat so she can flat foot the bike. A huge issue with the adjustment of the rear is the side stand. It's just too tall now. I could use a cut-off saw and trim it down but then the large contact foot would be gone. This is her first bike so I want to ensure the side stand is properly setup. Any suggestions on how to modify the side stand without a welder?

thank you!!

Chris in Redmond, WA

I'll try heat and bend tomorrow :) thank you.

Any suggestions on the front fork lowering?

From the tech section under suspension: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4553
Here's a link to lowering XS650 forks. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5537
The forks are different, but the principle is the same.
Also, the online manual you can download, View attachment 3882 covers forks and shocks, beginning on page 32 of the PDF.
As mentioned by Eric123. you need to loosen the pinch bolts on both the upper and lower trees, the wider part between the trees are the headlight ears, the forks slide through them.

Ha i just did this last night.

Lowering the front is just as simple as loostening those clamps.

As for the kickstand, i actually cut out about 1.5" out of the leg and welded it back together.

I still have my stock one, i could cut it down for you and weld it up for a small fee :).

Wedge, is it possible that what you think are the fork tubes between the triple-tree clamps are the the chrome sheetmetal covers that hold the headlight mount ears? The fork tubes slide through those. Does your front end look like this? On the bike in the picture, I lowered the front by 3/4" just sliding the tubes up.

xs350.jpg

Back