I need someones opinion who's smarter than I am

JonUpNorth

XS400 Member
Reaction score
my 82 maxim 400 has been running quite well, I've done a bunch of short rides around the neighbourhood putting a total of 260km's (around 160 miles I think) so far this season. BUT, unfortunately so far throughout the season while out riding the engine has quit on me twice. The first time, I came to a stop sign with the clutch engaged, it was idling good, and when the road was clear and I put it in gear the engine kind of chugged and sputtered out. I pulled off the road and was like "WTF" haha, and it didn't want to fire up at all, it turned over great but I thought maybe I had no spark. Called a buddy to come get me, and after a 5 minute wait I tried to start up again and it fired up like normal so I rode home. The second time was very similar, while at a red light sitting there idling, the bike just started to chug and sputter out, unfortunately this time after a 5 minute wait it didn't start again. But after I got home and waited for a couple hours with literally zero tinkering, it fired up like normal again.

After doing some thinking, and checking I'm thinking it must be a problem with fuel flow? the way the bike sounded and felt, it must have been some kind of blockage. After talking with a buddy, he believes the same and has suggested I both install a fuel filter and clean out the gas tank.

While I'm going to do both things, I would love to have some of your guys opinions on this. I really value the information that I've learned from this site and would really appreciate any kind of suggestions or anything at all.

Thanks, Jon:)

A few members have had issues with blocked gas cap vents. Gas won't flow properly if air can't replace the spent volume of gas in the tank. After waiting some time air will seep in, fuel flows, and she starts up again.
Might be as simple as cleaning the vent in the gas cap.

Since it will be asked: What do the spark plugs look like?

Spark plugs are in excellent condition. I replaced both earlier this year and they are still in good shape with good spark to them. gas cap cents eh, hmm I put on a new gas cap because I never received a key from the P.O... I'm going to go look right away but I'm 90% sure that it doesn't have any kind of air vent, I wonder if I shouldn't have bought a cheap gas cap from ebay haha.

TCI module? Is that a part you might also call a CDI? I had an electrician friend look it over, who thought it was in good shape. But, being an electrician and knowing about that stuff doesn't mean anything when it comes to bikes.

I'll do some more checking on both of these ideas.

Thanks, I really appreciate the replies!!!

One might call a TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition) module a CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) module... But that would be wrong. :laugh: To the lay person, they may be nothing more than black boxes with magic inside, but they are very different in operation. Appreciating the difference helps when diagnosing issues. Heat can cause problems with the power transistors within the TCI module. So, if the bike runs longer on cool mornings, or dies quickly in the afternoon heat, one should suspect the TCI module may be failing and test accordingly.

Back