I painted the frame, now it won't start.

elgordo

XS360 Newbie
Reaction score
So I decided to strip down the frame and paint it. I got it back together and I can't get it to start. The petcock was leaking when I filled the tank and it hadn't before. The kickstart seemed to have more resistance than before. After kicking it over several times I was getting a loud backfire through the exhaust. The motor was not taken apart. No modifications were made since it last ran. Any ideas?

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 20120513_163640.jpg
    20120513_163640.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 194
How well is the battery grounded to the frame...and everthing else grounded to the frame? Did you scrape the new paint off everywhere anything electrical contacts the frame?

I sanded down to bare metal for the two ground wires. I will check and make sure there aren't any other spots where contact is needed. I will double check the coil wires tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

Posted via Mobile

Are carbs good and clean? Sometimes taking a tank off allows small particles of whatever to shuffle around and in return into the carbs. Could be a case of dirty carbs, but based on the resistance on the kickstart im curious if the float needle is stuck open and you have fuel in the engine.

It was the coil wires. I switched them and it fired right up. Now my problem is that the engine races when it is running. I shortened the throttle cable and I need to make sure I have it routed correctly. It seems to be hanging up somewhere.

Posted via Mobile

Check for intake leaks. Maybe one of your boots aren't fastened correctly to the carb or air box. It happens to me on a regular basis. Also keep in mind that the revs should rise relatively high if your carbs are dialed in properly with the choke on.

I trick I learned while rebuilding insurance wrecks that I am not particularly familiar with is that when disassembling the wiring loom, us a permanent marker to simply number each side if the connector wire with am ID number. You don't even need to know what the connection is for but it will insure that the correct wires are connected upon assembly. I used this method when stripping the wiring harness from our project bike and had absolutely ZERO problems in wiring it back up. If the connector is too small (bullet connector) label each end of the wire using a small piece of masking tape and write the ID on the masking tape.

Back