Intro and new bike (and questions!)

sir_h_c

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been lurking here for a couple months mostly just stalking the classifieds and reading as much as I can (kind of) understand.
I figured that now that I've got some pictures I'll do a proper introduction.

I bought my bike in December for $700 after some saving and a lot of convincing my wife. I still need to get my helmet before I ride regularly and I'm discovering a number of things that need to be addressed. I've already received a new started clutch from xschris, just have to build up the courage to take the thing apart.

I'm pretty excited to have my first motorcycle and I don"t think I'll ever part with this one.

And the good stuff;
:D

SAM_0842.jpg
SAM_0843.jpg
SAM_0854.JPG

And now some q's
This is the left side of the swingarm. I was taking pics today and discovered there was just a little spring gummed in there. whats missing?

SAM_0846.jpg

This is the rear brake linkage. Is there supposed to be something in that second hole? I don't think so but I'd rather keep my wheel attached to the frame.:eek:

SAM_0848.jpg

The previous owner cut off the stock exhaust and did a poor job welding on some pipes. After my zip around the block this afternoon there was a steady drip of oil from this first shoddy weld on the left side. The oil was only on the bottom of the weld and didn't have a connection to any of the other ick and drips so it had to come from the exhaust. The left side was also smoking from the exhaust, bluish white. That scares me a bit:yikes:
Can someone please tell me it's not bad piston rings?

SAM_0845.jpg

Also dripping oil from that bottom bolt, right in the middle.

SAM_0847.jpg

Shiny front fender:D and fork seals covered with black rubbery stuff. This is the silicone stuff, right? It's also smeared around the gauges to keep water out I suppose.

SAM_0851.jpg

And the odometer, just for fun.:wink2:

SAM_0853.jpg

Thanks Everyone in advance for tolerating my soon to be endless questions. I'm working through the manuals right now so I may answer some of my own questions but The weather is nice and I want to ride my new toy as long as it is safe!

Hello all. I've been lurking here for a couple months mostly just stalking the classifieds and reading as much as I can (kind of) understand.
I figured that now that I've got some pictures I'll do a proper introduction.

I bought my bike in December for $700 after some saving and a lot of convincing my wife. I still need to get my helmet before I ride regularly and I'm discovering a number of things that need to be addressed. I've already received a new started clutch from xschris, just have to build up the courage to take the thing apart.

I'm pretty excited to have my first motorcycle and I don"t think I'll ever part with this one.

And the good stuff;
:D

View attachment 6879
View attachment 6880
View attachment 6881

And now some q's
This is the left side of the swingarm. I was taking pics today and discovered there was just a little spring gummed in there. whats missing?

View attachment 6883

This is the rear brake linkage. Is there supposed to be something in that second hole? I don't think so but I'd rather keep my wheel attached to the frame.:eek:

View attachment 6884

The previous owner cut off the stock exhaust and did a poor job welding on some pipes. After my zip around the block this afternoon there was a steady drip of oil from this first shoddy weld on the left side. The oil was only on the bottom of the weld and didn't have a connection to any of the other ick and drips so it had to come from the exhaust. The left side was also smoking from the exhaust, bluish white. That scares me a bit:yikes:
Can someone please tell me it's not bad piston rings?

View attachment 6885

Also dripping oil from that bottom bolt, right in the middle.

View attachment 6887

Shiny front fender:D and fork seals covered with black rubbery stuff. This is the silicone stuff, right? It's also smeared around the gauges to keep water out I suppose.

View attachment 6886

And the odometer, just for fun.:wink2:

View attachment 6882

Thanks Everyone in advance for tolerating my soon to be endless questions. I'm working through the manuals right now so I may answer some of my own questions but The weather is nice and I want to ride my new toy as long as it is safe!

Welcome to the community. You can find a lot of good info on this site.

To address some of your questions:

On my 400, the thing that looks like a spring sticking out of your swingarm bolt is supposed to be a grease fitting (I have enclosed a picture of mine.)

The thing on your rear wheel with the hole in it is a chain adjuster (one on each side.) All of mine have the same hole with nothing in it; probably a weight saving design.

Bluish-white smoke very likely oil being burned. It could be caused by several things. Lack of running over the recent past could have allowed the rings to acquire a coating of rust preventing them from seating correctly in their grooves which allows oil to slip into the combustion chamber. If this is all it is, it might resolve itself within 50-100 miles.

If it persists, then you look deeper. With 17K miles, the valve seats might need to be lapped (mine did), or the valve guides could be worn, or the rings could be bad. But if I can do a ring and valve job anyone can.

Dripping oil from the that bottom middle bolt on the generator cover can be fixed by installing a new paper seal and torqing the hex bolt.

Smearing silicone on rubber parts will get you through a season or too, but if the fork seals are cracked and crumbling they will need renewal.

One caution, if the rubber boots the carbs are mounted in on the cylinder head are cracked/crumbling, you need to replace them. Silicon sealer is a poor replacement for a good seal here because the leaking boots will allow too much air to be burned with your fuel which creates a lean running engine. That is not good because engines that run too lean will run hotter and eventually damage something (or many somethings!)

Unless the rubber foam seals on the instruments are crumbling, you should not need to apply sealer to these items.

I get a real sense of your enthusiasm for the sport! Ride safe...DJ

Attachments

• DSC_0488.JPG
    DSC_0488.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 126
We welcome you sir :)
Not much I have to add to that, nice arclight!
Clutch should be easy, hardest part is thinking about starting it I think. Diagrams help lots.
Rear wheel won't fall off if whats there is spec tightened and lined up.
Enjoy the ride! :thumbsup:

welcome my friend, you are most welcome here.

every thing's been said concerning your current issues

Back