intro bobber

supremefry

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hello all my name is fry from north suburbs of chicago iL just starting my build after a year of riding my xs400 around with a couple minor changes kinda of a bobber with hardtail struts and a small tank and some drags.. but time to do it right and hardtail it and get rid of that ugly backbone here are some pics of work in progress

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 310
i wounder how much flex you are going to get out of the rubber mounts with the tall risers like that.

well got a little progress done with the hardtail. converted the triple back to a single and got the top tubes welded to axle plates just need to finish the bottom sometime next week...

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 267
That looks good. I think my next build may just be a bobber. There is just something about the look of them that really appeals to me.

well got a little progress done with the hardtail. converted the triple back to a single and got the top tubes welded to axle plates just need to finish the bottom sometime next week...

please tell me you didn't just hack off the end without using a jig :eek:
how can you be sure the frame will be straight?

i like the shape though:D

its about 4 inches of stretch it looks long b/c where i put the seat but the set will be a little further back right where it would meet with the rear fender... and yes i did use a jig i just took it off to put the wheel back on to see how much of a stretch it has with the wheel on it

So are you at all worried about removing the two other bars that used to support the frame? I would like to do this but I would be afraid to make the frame too weak?

i was a little worried at first but i ended up plug welding the top tube to the new bent tube so there is a lot more stability in the welding and the tube so i think it would hold up fine... i used 1 1/4 .120 dom tubing a little thicker than the top tube

its about 4 inches of stretch it looks long b/c where i put the seat but the set will be a little further back right where it would meet with the rear fender... and yes i did use a jig i just took it off to put the wheel back on to see how much of a stretch it has with the wheel on it

in that case: looking good :D

thanks guys... for the jig i used an old motorcycle lift and welded up some two pieces of front to hold the fork straight and slip the axle through, then i measured it as straight as it can be and welded the middle part to some plates so the middle didnt move and just went on from there is kinda difficult to explain and i would take the pics but i had to disassemble it cause it wasnt mine lol

Back