its finished - well nearly

Reaction score
just less than a year and the xs is finished - sort off - still needs an mot - for our colonial friends that`s a road worthiness certificate.
will post before and after pictures.
just an update - went to mot the fireblade,left the xs on its side stand - not the usual centre stand - came back and a big pool of petrol under the xs
went past the vacuum tap,past the float needle,filled the left airbox,dripped onto the newly painted and installed chain guard - took all the paint off it - not happy

i hate bikes !!! how rich would i be if i did not eat,live and breath bikes - the money and time spent over the years-i would probably have a career instead of a JOB - would be able to move freely in a morning instead of the arthritic mess i am - would probably have ALL my internal organs still

rant over - who am i kidding - bikes are ace

xs400.jpg
STA60002.JPG
STA60003.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice! Like the stock look of the bike. Not many people doing this.

thanks Chris - i can see the attraction of the bobber trend, some of them look really good - especially if the state of the donor bike is not worth returning to factory spec but i think if you have a decent base then a good factory restoration is the way to go - just my opinion and i am sure other people will have a different view - each to their own

Looks good ! If I could find a nice one like that I would return it to stock also. All the ones I find are rusted and no where near complete......the last one I got was decent but I like the older models compared to the 80s.

thanks everyone for upbeat comments - just need some decent weather to give the bike a proper ride- first restoration and glad i did it but will kick back for a while before maybe starting another - old bikes dont co-operate do they most of the time - plan to keep it - didnt do it to make money, just fancied something from my younger days to cruise around on when i am not in the mood to take the fireblade for a spin

very nice Dave, I restored a red one back in 2006, but had to sell it as too many bikes.

Still have a 400 but built into a street tracker with the left over bits and supercharging it when I stop touring with my TDM850.

Back