My 78 XS400 Pics

cmoore352010

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the before pics of my bike. Ill be adding more as i am working on it and getting it restored.
You can see all the pics on my album as well.
Right side veiw
side view right resized.jpg

engine right resized.jpg

that rear brake pedal looks a bit bent, the rear brake switch has not been located in its hole, and you've no air filter. Other than that, nice one :thumbsup: enjoy your build!

thanks drewpy i knew the brake pedal was bent and will be replacing all brakes on this. didn't realize the switch was not in its hole and i have the air filter but needs replaced. Its gonna take a lot of work and a lot of headaches from ramming my head into a brick wall when things don't go smoothly:banghead:
But if i get it running it will be all worthwhile cause then i can ride:bike::D

take your time, read lots, get a picture and hang it on the garage wall.

That's your inspiration when things go pear shaped.

Switches on both my '79 and '80 are mounted the same.

UPDATE!!!
Finally, i got some money saved up for the immediate parts i need. I need some advice on ordering a couple parts.

On my 78 i believe the air filters are pods that sit facing the rear of the bike on the carbs. The originals were foam that had a spring inside and it came off the rubber boot that attaches to the carb. I was wondering what size i would need as they come in different sizes. and should i get the foam or the paper filters?

I also need an oil filter, fuse box, and ignition coils. Any recommendations on the coils? Should i get one coil that has 2 wires for each plug?

Finally where would be the cheapest place online to order these parts in the USA without paying a ton for shipping? (Partsnmore wants around 50 bucks for shipping for all these parts.)
Thanks,

'Old Bike Barn' offers free premium shipping on orders over $79.00! A couple of OEM air filters and your almost there!! Add carb holders,chain,MC rebuild kit, ect.ect.=free or NO shipping costs! good luck.

MC rebuild kit? He has drums all around :)

cmoore,

Are you looking at pod air filters or oem style filters? Partsnmore appears to have oem style air filters, but it looks as though you are missing the entire intake assembly. The cheap pod filters wont work well without the plastic tubes that attach to the carbs. The "good" ones are pretty expensive.

Partsnmore also seems to have relatively cheap coils and oil filters. Some local auto parts stores carry universal fuse boxes or bladed fuse holders that can be added inline.

MC rebuild kit? He has drums all around :)

cmoore,

Are you looking at pod air filters or oem style filters? Partsnmore appears to have oem style air filters, but it looks as though you are missing the entire intake assembly. The cheap pod filters wont work well without the plastic tubes that attach to the carbs. The "good" ones are pretty expensive.

Partsnmore also seems to have relatively cheap coils and oil filters. Some local auto parts stores carry universal fuse boxes or bladed fuse holders that can be added inline.

When i got this bike home it had two individual foam pods attached. I may have to snap a couple of pictures to show you what i mean but these foam air pods had a rubber boot that slipped over the carb and was held in place with an o-ring clamp. :wtf:

I am a complete newb when it comes to motorcycle engines. can someone please post a pic of what the intake assembly looks like when attached to the same model bike please?

When i got this bike home it had two individual foam pods attached. I may have to snap a couple of pictures to show you what i mean but these foam air pods had a rubber boot that slipped over the carb and was held in place with an o-ring clamp. :wtf:
welcome aboard...what you have are most likely UNI filters. Great filters, and yes they attach with a hose clamp. If jetted and tuned properly they can turn the xs into a torquey little monster:bike:

021-1.jpg

Frwinks...
Thats exactly it!!! The only difference was mine were green. i plan on replacing them with the same.

Back