My 80 xs4

Downsouthdub

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Guess I should post this here. From my intro thread.

Hi, my name is Ryan. Been riding for about 10 years now, mostly sport bikes. I got a 1980 xs400 in a trade last summer and have been tinkering on it as a winter project. It's a unicycle right now but I hope to have it back together before spring

This is how I got the bike, already someone's "project"
null-27.png

null-26.png

I started stripping the gauges off and made a new seat
file-2.jpg

Here is the seat I made. I used the old seat as a template for the base which is made out of plywood. I started with a a piece of vinyl larger than than the top of the seat. I squared the edges and drew a center line with a white pencil. I started marking points from my center line on the short side in 1" increments and up the sides in 2". then drew my diamond pattern with a ruler.
file-3.jpg

Then using a piece of 1" backed sew foam cut to the same dimensions as the vinyl, I stitched my lines and sewed the foam to the vinyl. The foam gives it that puffy look.
file-4.jpg

Next I traced the shape of the seat on the stitched vinyl/foam using the base as a template and stitched around the traced line. Then Cut it out about 1/8" outside the stitching.
Now to make the sides I just cut a strip of vinyl about 6" wide and long enough to go around the edge of the seat and stitched it to the seat top starting at the center line at the back of the seat. Stitch this inside out about 1/2" from the edge of the seat top. Wish I had taken pics cause this is kind of hard to explain without looking at it.
Then I flipped it right side out and top stitched around the edge again to give it a bead look.

I used 2 more pieces of sew foam for the padding. I glued them together and cut them out 1" bigger than the plywood then put the seat cover on and stapled it to the plywood pulling the seat cover to have an even line with the plywood all the way around and cut the excess off. And done!
file-5.jpg

Here is the new seat and the old beat black one
file-6.jpg

Cut her in half, no magic box needed!

file-7.jpg

And some mock up shots
file-9.jpg

file-8.jpg

Just finally got some tubing and axle plates the other day and a new tank. If it ever stops snowing on the weekends I could go to my dads house and get to work

Last edited:
Been a while! But still working on it when I can

My new tank. It doesn't fit with the triple backbone. So... I made it fit

null-18.jpg

null-17.jpg

null-16.jpg

null-20.jpg

null-21.jpg

null-7.jpg

null-8.jpg

null-9.jpg

null-10.jpg

null-11.jpg

null-12.jpg

null-13.jpg

Thanks ratrodder, I just checked out your build. Looks pretty sweet!

And I don't know about a 4banger, I like the look of the 2

Anyway this came in the mail today! Going to get a re-skin maybe pleated white this time cause I want white grips too

null-30.jpg

Anyway this came in the mail today! Going to get a re-skin maybe pleated white this time cause I want white grips too

I tried that TWICE :banghead::banghead::banghead: aparantly I'm a greasy pig and so was my grips they looked nasty after a week and where a pain to keep clean. o but I loved the look if you do white grips I recomend riding gloves that get used for nothing else:thumbsup: I will say that the white seat was easier to keep clean and didn't burn my butt nearly as bad on the 115 degree days

Here is what the seat is going to look like. Still waiting on my 17mm axle plates. Got some tcbros 20mm if anyone is building a 650.

Also ordered a 21" front wheel! What size tires is every one running with a 21" front?

null-31.jpg

I generally don't like hard tails much, but I'm diggin' this build. lots of cool little details that I havent seen on others. Well Done :thumbsup:! Just noticed in the first pics that you did have some long shocks mounted up... Do you know what were they from, and how long they are?

Back