Need help getting it running. 1977 xs360

cabbott12321

1977 XS360
Reaction score
So i've been basically working on this bike all summer which has been just about the biggest bummer ever because what I mean by working on it is it hasn't been running and I haven't been riding it.

Here's what I know. It will start if I spray starter fluid into the carbs but it will only run for a second. Does this mean my carbs aren't really clean? Or not tuned right?

I've also had just about every electrical problem in the book. However I've rewired the alternator/stator, replaced my voltage regulator, replaced a bad ignition coil, got new wires, caps, plugs, and even fixed some suspect wires (but certainly not all of them, not quite ready to redo my harness haha)

This is what I can get out of it. I can spray a short spurt of start fluid into the carbs and the bike will fire up for a split second then die but it won't start without that...

I have my air scews turned out 1 1/4 turns ( recommend for xs360 2d is 1-1.5) and I've taken the carbs off a bunch of times and "cleaned" them to the best of my ability and know-how.

What do I need to do? all I want to do is ride :banghead:. If could ride even for one day before winter I'd be happy :bike:.

By what you described you have proven that the engine will fire so you have spark. Sounds like it is running for a second or two on just the starting fluid but there is no gas getting into the cylinders. Now is the time to stop messing with it with starting fluid before you go too far and casue any damage.

Start simple;

1. Is there gas in the carbs when you take them off to clean them? If the answer is no then somewhere between the tank and the carbs you have a stoppage. Could be the fuel filter if there is one, the petcock is plugged or faulty, etc.

2. If there is gas in the carbs then the "Cleaning" you have done was not just good enough or there are issues within the carbs themselves. I am no expert on these carbs other than I know they have to be scrupulously clean.

Maybe one of our carb exxperts will jump in here and give you some direction. Good luck.

I'd turn out those pilots 3 turns!

sounds like a carb strip and ultrasonic clean is the way to go.

There's gas in the carbs, that's why I say "cleaning" because I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. I also think they need to be synced, I'll turn the pilots out 3 turns and clean them to best of my ability. As far as syncing them I don't have vacuum gauges but I know someone that does and they've got mercury ones so it'd be worth paying him to do it. Thanks for the help!

there's a cleaning how to on this site, I suggest you search and follow that as it looks complete!

after the starting fluid burns off and your kicking/cranking it over with the throttle applied ...do your plugs show wet when pulled?...also, is your vac tub hooked up from the petcock to the carb? and the opposing carbs vac port capped off?

Unfortunately I am now out of town for the week, so I will not be able to figure it out until I get back on Sunday. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Back