Need urgent help!!!

I mean I'm up for anything really, I tried downsizing the battery like that other thread says and it just drained it in a matter of a few days. And sk I bought a new one and it seems to just drop voltage wise daily little by little since I can't get a full charge going on... Should I just replace the stator?

I'd suggest reading the service manual and going through the tests before you start throwing $ at the bike.

How long is your ride? Not that it matters, without electric start you shouldn't be having any troubles, even if it is only a 5 minute ride. Your charging system obviously isn't working right.

my ride is only 15 minutes tops. and i figured i should be able to run a smaller battery. but that didnt turn out so well. and its a new reg/rec i have on it so i figure the only thing it COULD be is the stator...

only thing it COULD be is the stator...

I doubt it. First thing I would recommend is a battery tender device. (to keep you battery charged.
Second thing when you have time, is to print out the eletric test parts of the manual. If you have a new-er model (80-81)((List your bike in the Signature line part of the control panel.))(((So tired people like me don't have to guess)))) There is a extra chapter in the Haynes manual that covers some extra electrical testing in the back of the book. Go though all the test. (even the new reg/rec) perhaps the start with the magnet test. (yesterday I was doing my Valves, didn't realize that I left the key on, I took off the Yamaha plate for the adj crankshaft, the Lugnut Tee handle I was using to rotate the crankshaft, was drawn to the bolt, by the magnetic attraction. I turned the key off, and it lost its attraction, off topic but it was cool).

The stators don't need to be re-wound, but quite frequently part of the wire will go bad. so just replace what is shot. with a quality wire, and solder the connection point.

When the engine RPM increases, the voltage will eventually rise to 14.5V (or what ever the regulator is set at), and then the regulator will shunt excess power to ground. This is an absolute waste of energy and as a result efficiency will suffer. If the wiring isn't up to the task, high RPM operation will burn it out, no different than overloading your current charging system by adding extra lights.

Hmm... I don't think it will "shunt excess power to ground". If you take any permanent magnet motor and spin it (which will make it into a generator) - it will spin without much effort. Now if you connect motor wires to a lamp - it will be much more difficult to spin, and if you connect wires together - it is almost impossible to spin.
I believe regulator will "unload" or disconnect generator as voltage goes too high.

Actually, some do. Other designs short one of the stator windings to cause the voltage to drop. Again, wasting energy. If the stator is simply unloaded, the voltage will spike in it. When it is reconnected, such as when the load increases or the voltage drops low enough to require it, this will cause a momentary spike in the system voltage that can destroy electronics and LED's. A bike with points, and no solid state electronics can use a PMA, if one is willing to accept the inherent flaws and limitations.

Bottom line, PMA's are not suitable for modern bikes. Thus they are not used much any more. The OP would be better served diagnosing and repairing the existing charging system.

ok so wouldnt a capacitor help with these spikes? and also, if nobody they suck then why are there so many 650s running flawlessly with them? and then also my ironhead has magneto points. but thats a different beast. my point is, they work. they work well with a 650. why cant they work well with a 400? and by well i mean with the basics...no turn signals or nuetral lights or back lit gauges or anything like that ... just a headlight and tail light...

http://bat-pac.com/ Read the fine print, (I will copy/paste)

Pay with Bitcoin and get free shipping worldwide
Bat-Pac Price is $49.95
FREE Shipping $0.00 <--- Worldwide.

Please Inquire About Other Payment Options.

In general, if it has a permanent magnet flywheel, chances are the Bat-Pac will work.
Older bikes that have a point type magneto can also use the Bat-Pac. If it uses a
Brush type generator/alternator that power the ignition then the Bat-Pac won't work .
The reason for this is because the permanent magnets can induct enough current
in the stator coils to start the engine, whereas brush type charging systems require
a current source with several amps of current capacity to magnetize the windings of the rotor,
and the primary windings of the ignition coils.

The Bat-Pac works on all that have a magneto CDI/ stator alternator systems.
The Bat-Pac is compatible with 6 and 12 volt systems, positive or negative ground.
The Bat-Pac can be used along with a battery for improved voltage output of the charging system .
Testing a Bat-Pac on a non-compatible charging system will not do harm.

Please realize, there is no available power until the motor is running.
If the motorcycle has an electric starter, you will lose this function.
If you decide to buy a BatPac and it does not work for your application,
or you are unhappy for any reason, No Questions Asked Money Back Guarantee.

Thanks for your interest, Derek Nichols
http://bat-pac.com

On your behalf, I emailed the company ...

Re: XS400 1981 compatible? Wed 8/27/2014 3:12 PM
The Bat-Pac works on most (but not all) of the XS’s, even though the XS does not have permanent magnet flywheel. I suspect this is due to the stators’ ability to hold some residual magnetism in its iron core- which may be enough initial magnetism to get the charging system going on most XS’s.

Note: The more miles on the bike the more chance of this occurring
The only way to know for sure is to test the Bat-Pac…

If the Bat-Pac does not work for your application, Or you are otherwise dissatisfied:
No Questions Asked Money Back Guarantee.

On 08/26/2014 06:48 PM, Tobie Arfstrom wrote:
Just checking, Thanks Is Bat-Pac compatible with the stator/TCI/ of the xs400. (is more compatible with the pre1980 with the points? Or better compatible with the post 1980 with the TCI?

Thanks Tobie

From their "non-compatible" page:
" Yamaha - **RD200, 250, 350, and 400 (USA models only)**, XS650, YX600 Radian, XJ750, XJ650, XJ550, Maxim, Seca , WR650

**The RD200, 250, 350, and 400 USA models require battery power to the points,
and the electromagnet rotor windings to work, so the Bat-Pac will not work on
them,. BUT; The later RD400E,F.and G from the UK. and the RD400F&G from Canada
use a magneto CDI, as do the 1980-82 RD350LCs, so they can use the Bat-Pac."

And on their info page, they state that it isn't DOT legal. There is no power when the engine isn't running, so if you stall the engine, the lights go out. Certainly NOT safe on the street!

Just saying...

Back