new cam chain question

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all just wondering if someone can tell me about buying a new cam chain. My question is, if you buy a cam chain advertised as specific for your model does it come the correct length and ready to fit out of the box or do you need to measure it up and take links out if necessary? I guess the xs360/400 would have similar if not exact the same size cam chains. Im rebuilding a 360 motor and figure I may as well replace the cam chain.

Theres some DID ones on ebay in the UK, but you cant ask the seller questions because they are such a high volume seller??

Yamaha still sell oem chains for these bikes as there are a lot of other motors that use the same one.

cheers chris what does an oem one go for? I can get the DID one for around $85 all up, DID is good quality from what I understand. Would the DID come the right size do you think or would you have to size it up? If oem is the same price I would get one for sure.

The last time I looked it was like $50-60 bucks. Because it fits a bunch of different bikes you should look up the part number and google it. You may find one for cheap.

Last edited:
$57.89 from partzilla, S/H included, took longer
I ordered it on Tues May 13, 2014, got it on
Friday, May 23, 2014.

So it took ten days. if you need it sooner, check with your local yamaha dealer. (any of them Bikes boats whatever, they all can get the parts) it just might be quicker turn around, or maybe no shipping and handling charges.

I just opened that kit, I did not need to order the master link. I spent 5 bucks more than I needed. Its not worth sending back minus the 20% restocking fee (i think) It didn't factor the shipping and handling, cause all of the order was under 60 bucks.

Back