New Member/ New xs400 owner

mburda

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this thread. I have just recently been given a 1981 XS 400 from a friend. It certainly needs some TLC. He used it as recently as 2 years ago, but the back tire is bald, the front is weather checked, and the rear brakes do nothing when the brake pedal is compressed. I really want to fix these issues so that I can commute with this bike. The other issue I have is that when I start it, full choke results in revving way up to 5-6000 rpm until I am able to push it in just a bit. Then there is a long warming up period before I could think about putting it in gear. Is this a carb issue? Ive tooled around the yard and dirt road up to about 20mph and it seems to be popping and coughing a bit near the carbs.

Questions i have: Is the startup issue one anyone is familiar with? Is it challenging to remove the rear tire/replace the brakes?

I used to have Suzuki Savage 650, but sold it to put a roof on my house when I became a home owner. Since then I have always wanted to get back on a bike..

I look forward to being part of this thread and going down this journey with this neglected bike.

Welcome to the forum. Post a few pics of the bike for us. Download the manual and start reading:thumbsup:

Back