New member with some questions

Mrbrettbaker

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Brett, and I'm a bikeaholic. I'm 53 yrs old, been riding all my life. I'm a coach/instructor with a trackday org and amongst my long list of toys is a new Ducati Panagale, and R6, Gsxr750, hand full of dirt bikes, a yamaha voyager and a TX500 with 4000 miles found in a heated garage, stored since 1981. I recently found a 81 xs400 with 3086 miles, literally in a barn, and it looks it. A carb clean, some pods to replace the mouse nest air cleaner, plugs oil and a battery and it purrs! I want to build it cafe-ish or street tracker. My girl is 5ft nothing tall and I will be cutting and lowering rear subframe and using shorter shock. I am a fabricator and also have lots of sport bike parts, so upgrades are in order. What I have searched for and can't find is some stock specs on the chassis. I'd like to know the triple tree offset, the rake and the trail of the bike. I want to use modern suspension, but not just for show. I'd like to try it on the track, so getting my geometry right is important. Any help would be appreciated!

Google your bike. You should be able to find the specs you call for on rake and trail. On the fork offset just measure it. I don't think that spec will be listed.
Most of the repair manuals I have on my bikes have those specs in them.
Leo

On the 12th page of googling (on an iPhone no less) I gave up. Unfortunately I think no one really cares, it not being a sport bike. I can measure all of it, I was just hoping someone had it in their notes. I'm doing some cross referencing and have dimensions for all the donor bikes

Back