NEW! Stator diagnosis tests are all fine....but.......

1979XS4002-F

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
OK, so I kind of hijacked a diffrent thread with my issue and I didnt feel good about it(sorry willieboy)..
So my issue is im not charging my battery while running on my 79 xs4002-f. I replaced the voltage reg with a brand new oregoncycles Vreg.. tested field coil as manual recco's and vreg/rectifier feeds test out perfect...yet when I execute the Vreg bypass test(wire from + battery terminal to green wire/plug I get nothing...No magnetism of field coil, no voltage spike...nothing..I have the coil/cover assembly removed from the bike now..any tips or ideas?

OK, so I kind of hijacked a diffrent thread with my issue and I didnt feel good about it(sorry willieboy)..
So my issue is im not charging my battery while running on my 79 xs4002-f. I replaced the voltage reg with a brand new oregoncycles Vreg.. tested field coil as manual recco's and vreg/rectifier feeds test out perfect...yet when I execute the Vreg bypass test(wire from + battery terminal to green wire/plug I get nothing...No magnetism of field coil, no voltage spike...nothing..I have the coil/cover assembly removed from the bike now..any tips or ideas?

I should add that my feed lines arent grn/grn as the manual suggests they are black/grn...would this mean my GRN to positive battery test might or should have been to black to positive terminal of battery?

Hey, nice of you to do your own thread. I replied on willieboys a moment ago.

No worries about wiring color. The green to black is the same wire, just different ends. It's an electromagnet. So one end is green, and gets positive voltage, the other end is black and goes back to the battery on the negative terminal. I haven't seen a manual say green and green wire before. I'm wondering if you're doing your test right.

Just in case I explained it poorly
1. The bike has to be running.
2. You'll need to keep the connectors hooked up, just add voltage on a wire probe that can touch the back of the green wire in the molex connector. I saw a bright blue spark when I did so. A reallly bright spark. So you can't miss it. Once I did have voltage to the coil, it was magnetic and held the razor blade in place.
3. at that point the coil was doing it's job, and the rotor and stator instantly did theirs and my voltage rose from 12 up to 14. (Don't test rev above 14.5. It's not going to help your battery. Up to 14.2 is max for a test rev until your new reg is up and working...)

Without getting into a critique of Oregon, you can "Borrow" (keep the receipt) the same aftermarket that I got, the r-292 from an auto store and make sure you're getting voltage to your coil after wiring it up to the old connectors for the old voltage regulator. it's in my write up. To do it I removed the brass pins from the connector block by depressing the tang with a micro flat head screw driver. Once you depress the tang, the brass connector blade slides out of the molex connector. You HAVE TO DEPRESS IT FIRST, or the old plastic will tear out. It should slide. If it doesn't, you're not ready to pull.

Once you get them exposed make a few alligator wires (alligators on both end) and use them to do a quick test rewire of the new voltage reg. I did this on mine until I got it to work.

I have never heard of a field coil not producing magnetism. You're testing it when the bike is running, correct? And with a new KNOWN good battery, right? You need full voltage....

Keep us filled in.

Drewcifer

Thanks again for the reply Drew, I checked the condition of the wires on the FC..all looked fine to me, cleaned it up a bit and reinstalled and tried the bypass test again...nothing..battery started @ 12.2v and after 20 minutes of messing around she was down to 12.0.. Revving it made no difference in volts and NO magnetism either:( and when I added the "jumper" wire for bypass it would actually drop .1v...odd, I dont know what to do.. Should I try to re-pin the plug ens just to eliminate a potential bad/poor connection? or is there a way to confirm the plugs/connectors meeting the intent?

hey didnt mind @ all that you hijacked my thread lol sounds like we have close to the same problem going on and the more input the better. I think i am getting little closer
to an anwser, will good luck and if i come up with something i will let you know... :bike:

Last edited:
Willie, thanks man didnt want to get multiple answers going on one thread..it was your and I felt crappy about it..i agree sounds like our issues are identical...im wondering if its a shitty plug/connector on the Vreg. ....gonna test now:) keep in touch buddy!

You can test the connectors by using your multimeter on continuity setting. I have a radio shack one that beeps when a connection is made. Check front to back on all the connectors and be sure they're giving no resistance or are continuous (Beep! on radio shack multimeter or 0 on harbor freight red cheapie)

Now, if you lose volts when you attach the positive probe to the green wire, there is a short somewhere in that circuit. I think it might be picture time. I am suggesting this to everyone today.

Take pics, upload to your album, cut and paste the bb code beneath the pics on that page to the thread and they show up as pics instead of a link. Good luck.

Drewcifer

Last edited:
Ok...Ill take pics :( the connector continuity test on the vreg and stator were successful..so im still cornfused

full
[/IMG]
full
full
full
full

in the last pic the brown wire is hidden on the bottom of the conector..just incase ya think its missing...

There should be a red wire coming out of Regulator with a reading about 70 volts( set to volts) while running

If Regulator is ok... run a wire from Regulator(red wire) to starter solenoid(red wire), there should be a small red wire on solenoid.

I just had this problem on another bike xr650L.... my red wire was messed up somewhere in harness. I bypassed a new wire along harness.

Last edited:
what if its kickstart only..lol
Damn, I know what your saying now!!! When I wired my bobber I remember having to power the field coil first(once key is turned on)..then magnetic field is created..hence proof stator is good...gonna go try something! BRB

Not sure.. but it should be that red wire affect charge... on my bike it went to handbar shut off switch... I just bypassed to solenoid and ran a wire to my key switch.

page 28 of the XS400 manual the xs4002-f model wiring diagram..the lower left corner..whats that rectangular swith looking thing that is not labeled?

Maybe you can run that red wire to positive batt... Not 100% sure... and cut wire inhalf and run to switch. so no batt drain when shut off

Ask others if safe I dont to mess your bike up.

Or install a solenoid :)

Back