New to bikes and the forum

onXS

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Long time reader, First time poster ....
So i've bought a 82 xs400r off ebay a few weeks ago "complete" but pulled apart as the ole fella had a heart attack and couldn't put it back together, so a few 10min sessions at a time, or until i crack the sads or start swearing, whichever comes first, it's just about 95% together, but without a haynes manual, i've hit a few brick walls, i've searched high and low for relevant photos and diagrams to suit my situation but my lucks ran out, majority of it has gone together with common sense (yeah, not so common these days) and some slight mechanical knowledge (always been a v8 driver/fan)

I should also mention that this is my first motorbike, besides my two little dirt bikes.

My first brick wall seems to be whats referred to as the "pickup coil - governor" wiring, the single wire with the plug on the end leads into the ingiter, but the two wires leading out down on the governor end i'm unsure of where they both go ... A or B attaches to C more than likely? Also just wondering what D is, Oil Pressure or temp guage?
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s428/rowan_boats/IMG_2832.jpg

My second question is in relation to the starter ...
A and the lead together ? is B anything but a bolt holding the case on the starter, is there a earth ? or just the single cable running off the starter ?
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s428/rowan_boats/IMG_2833.jpg

Question 3#
Is this assembled correctly? have I missed anything?
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s428/rowan_boats/4S1203.jpg

Question 4#
Some remaining items ... (yeah, everytime)
A, C and D are possibly cable retainers? But from where ...
E looks important :banghead:
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s428/rowan_boats/4S1200.jpg

ok so thats all for now haha, i've done my brain picking for now ! :laugh:

Thanks in advance guys !
Cheers, Rowan

There are manuals free to download on this site,im.sure you'll find them helpfull.
I cant remember where exactly,bit some one,or a quick search will turn them up.
Im new to,but have been lurking for a while.

Yeah I have grabbed one of them already :) but unfortunately didn't find it helpful :( seems more like a glovebox manual you'd find in a car !
Indeed does have some useful info though !
Cheers, Rowan

Yeah I have grabbed one of them already :) but unfortunately didn't find it helpful :( seems more like a glovebox manual you'd find in a car !
Indeed does have some useful info though !
Cheers, Rowan
Ive got one on my hard drive,a proper manual,but i dont know how to share it,or even if im allowed to

Q1: "D" is oil pressure, "C" is neutral switch
Q2: "A" goes to cable to starter solenoid, as you noted. "B" is simply a bolt. There should be a ground wire from the battery to a engine bolt on the far right rear of the engine casing.
Q3: Sorry, can't help.
Q4: "E" looks like a rear wheel axle spacer. I don't recognize "A", "B", "C" or "D" even though I've had my bike entirely apart

Ace68 - nah wouldn't be allowed to share unfortunately coz I'm not up for getting anyone into strife, but is it a Haynes #0378 ? this seems to be the only Haynes I can find on it but appears to only refer to 75-84 SOHC, but from what I can tell mines the 82 DOHC motor? But I suppose all the other information may just be relevant since I (fingers crossed) have no intention of dismantling the motor.

Jmd - that's awesome, should get me a few steps closer to a start/test ride,
#2 yeah sweet, that's something else I forgot to ask, I do have the ground wire about 10inches long and was wondering where on the bike it attached, since I don't have a battery yet it's just hovering in limbo
#4 he gave me a big tray and a Milo tin full of bit n pieces, so fair chance they may for his mower or something haha, who knows eh !
But good thinking 99, I'll do some more googling after work about any spacers (there is a code on it actually) and have found the nuetral switch images too,
Cheers a million !
Rowan

Back